Should Invitational Divisions in TX JO's really be called "Platinum" and "Gold"

JO's
PoloPop44
How are you connected to water polo?: Fan and Dad

Should Invitational Divisions in TX JO's really be called "Platinum" and "Gold"

Postby PoloPop44 » Sun Jul 31, 2022 10:16 pm

I get the point of the Session 3, Texas JO's is to give a JO's experience to non-California/non-elite/emerging clubs...and I am all for it for the growth of the game.

But the divisions in the Age groups in TX were Platinum and Gold and probably none of the teams there are Platinum or Gold level water polo teams.

Since in the Classic at the main JO's at Stanford the divisions were Silver and Bronze, maybe Texas JOs should be Copper and Nickel or something like that.

It just rubs me the wrong way to see a lot of these clubs on socials touting "We won the ______ Platinum/Gold Division at the Junior Olympics National Championships in Texas!!!" And all I can think is "You won a tournament no one had to qualify for, with less than 48 teams, and if you came to CA JO's you would get smoked 25-5 by most B teams."

Maybe I'm just an a-hole...I dont know...LOL

SwimCoach
How are you connected to water polo?: Fan, Instructor, Lifelong Swimmer

Postby SwimCoach » Sun Jul 31, 2022 10:49 pm

I do not think that it is a big deal. Many of the elite teams have become very watered down. So many players were missing this year with other USAWP obligations.
Last edited by SwimCoach on Mon Aug 01, 2022 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

wapo2002
How are you connected to water polo?: player, fan, non-california

Postby wapo2002 » Mon Aug 01, 2022 12:17 am

obviously shouldn't say they won JO's, but I do think West Suburban (1), Elmhurst (2nd), Olympus (3rd), Viper Pigeon (4th) at 16u and Miami Whitecaps at 18u as well as Elmhurst and a few others would've done pretty well in Session 1 Championship probably most of them somewhere in the 23-36 range. They all have some very talented kids at a much more affordable cost that allows everyone to go.

Return to “US Junior Olympics”