2014-2015 CIF-SS Girls Division 2

Girls High School Competition
polo-pop
How are you connected to water polo?: Polo Parent

2014-2015 CIF-SS Girls Division 2

Postby polo-pop » Mon Feb 23, 2015 4:40 pm

This Wednesday's Semi-Finals at Woollett have not been getting much press or talk and I feel this is one of if not the most exciting divisions in this years CIF Championship run. The parity in this divisions top 4 teams is incredible. Would like to see what predictions and why are out there for this division.

wpdad
How are you connected to water polo?: Parent of two players

Re: 2014-2015 CIF-SS Girls Division 2

Postby wpdad » Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:37 pm

I agree... El Toro and San Clemente should win their semis and meet in the finals. If so that would be the most exciting game of the finals. They split the two games they played in league. Each team has two starters from the SET U 16 team that won the JO's two years in a row.
El Toro has Madison Parenteau who is arguably one of the fastest swimmers in water polo and a prolific scorer on the counter attack.She is also a very solid defender. San Clemente has Amber McCutchson who is on the national team and has scored 104 goals this season. Amber is a big and strong player, the only knock is she is slow and can't go for long. The secret to beating SC is to shut down Amber early in the game.. El Toro defiantly has the better balance with 5 players that can shoot from any place in the pool. El Toro has the fastest team in D 2 and rarely gets countered.
Each team will have a tough game in the semis but should win, but I would anticipate close games.

SwimCoach
How are you connected to water polo?: Fan, Instructor, Lifelong Swimmer

Postby SwimCoach » Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:21 pm

I think that wpdad has it spot on with his picks.

Although any of the remaining 4 teams could win the whole thing, I predict San Clemente over El Toro in the finals - McCutcheon is just too strong on the inside.
Last edited by SwimCoach on Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wpdad

Postby wpdad » Sat Feb 28, 2015 5:19 am

What a classless act by the OC Register for running this article on the morning of El Toro's most important game in the history of E T Girls water polo. If El Toro wins today it will be because of the six other players on the starting roster.
Last edited by wpdad on Mon Mar 02, 2015 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wpdad

Postby wpdad » Sat Feb 28, 2015 5:19 am

I did't mean to post it twice
Last edited by wpdad on Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SwimCoach

Postby SwimCoach » Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:01 pm

I really do not understand what your concern is about. It is an intriguing story since brother and sister are both going after CIF Championships - one as a coach and the other as a player.

The article was about two siblings - what is the big deal? Nowhere does it state that Damato is the only reason for the team's success.

Kind of classless on your end for calling out a 16 year old girl multiple times.

"Damato adds very little to this team other than being another player."

And you go on to say that if ET wins it will "be because of the six other players on the starting roster." and "Not because of Damato." That is quite a statement.

I can only imagine what your angle is. It seems to me that you are the one who is a bit myopic about the El Toro team - just look at your post above where you previewed the El Toro semi-final game and only gave credit and sang praises about one girl. I wonder why that would be.
Last edited by SwimCoach on Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:26 pm, edited 6 times in total.

OCPoloDad

Postby OCPoloDad » Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:26 pm

Agreed with SwimCoach. From looking at your complete posting profile, it appears you have one thing in mind: advertise my children as best as I can, even if it's at the expense of other players/coaches or the team concept. Very classless comments of "real stars", "adds very little", and "smoke and mirror attempt". Plus, since most all of these girls play for SET as well, what in the world are you thinking making such statements about the sister of your daughter's Club coach.....not that the Coach will let that interfere with his goal to win. You will not take my advice but get out of the way of your children as you could/will hurt their chances more than help.
Last edited by OCPoloDad on Sat Feb 28, 2015 2:10 pm, edited 3 times in total.

momofpoloplayer

Postby momofpoloplayer » Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:46 pm

[quote="wpdad"]What a classless act by the OC Register for running this article on the morning of El Toro's most important game in the history of E T Girls water polo. If El Toro wins today it will be because of the six other players on the starting roster. Not because of Damato. This article is an insult to the real stars of this team. Damato adds very little to this team other than being another player.
I hope every college coach out there can see through this smoke and mirror attempt to make someone look better then they really are, and at the expense of her team mates..............shame on you.

This is actually one of the most classless things I have ever seen on the board. I hope, wpdad, you do not have a player on the ET team because activities such as this not only reflect poorly on you, but will potentially be taken out on your athlete. College coaches don't need to put up with classless parents unlike club or high school coaches.

polo45
How are you connected to water polo?: Coach

Postby polo45 » Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:09 pm

He is a parent on the team. I'm sure if you look through his posts you can figure out who he is. I wont call him by name like he does with 16 year old kids, but we all know who he is.

I agree it's the most classless post I have seen in a long time. Shame on you Wpdad.

wpdad

Postby wpdad » Sat Feb 28, 2015 2:21 pm

The last time I looked Water Polo is a team sport. El Toro made the finals because of the entire squad stepping up when it was called for. No one individual can do it alone. If the Register wanted to write this as a interesting story they should have released it after the final game. This article did nothing to praise the accomplishment of the team and its coaches.

poloshark

Postby poloshark » Sat Feb 28, 2015 2:53 pm

OMG... Any article that is on water polo is a good article... I am sorry they did not write about your daughter but this was a well written piece and that is good for our sport. Rejoice you team today as they play in their championship but don't put down a girl for getting a little publicity.

SwimCoach

Postby SwimCoach » Sat Feb 28, 2015 2:59 pm

The story was not supposed to be about the El Toro water polo team. It was a a special interest story about a family that enjoys a special bond in water polo. This was a perfect time to have this story - the day that both of these people will be shooting for a CIF Championship. I am sure that Dan will write great stories about the teams and the games tomorrow, after they are played.

Should the parents of Laguna Beach be complaining because Ethan Damato is also a subject of the article? After all, it is the girls who are actually playing the game. :lol:

Where did the article infer that "one individual can do it alone." If anything, your second post above makes it sound like El Toro has only one star, who happens to be one of the fastest swimmers in water polo, a prolific scorer and a solid defender. Sounds to me like the pot calling the kettle black.

Your last two posts might be the most narrow-minded that I have ever seen on this board - and that is saying something

Get some class.

ILikeBigWater

Postby ILikeBigWater » Sat Feb 28, 2015 3:16 pm

Wpdad,

How about this for a reason for publishing the article today; The writer of the article, Dan Albano, is a long time champion of and promoter of all things aquatic on the Orange County high school scene and a class guy. The article is about two siblings separated by many years of age who have become closer due to the vehicle of waterpolo. That’s really all the article is about.

This type of article is meant to attract the attention and interest of those not in the water polo community or those on the fringe of it. It’s precisely because the finals are tonight that you run this sort of “human Interest piece” on the day of the final. The goal of this type of article is to generate some interest for folks who know nothing about waterpolo and make them want to come see the games, should they have free time this afternoon. As an outsider (my kids are well past their HS plo days), I found the story interesting

Those who know waterpolo but not the teams or players for tonight’s games will have looked to the right of the article to the “Game Outlook” section to see who the top players are for each team to watch. Maybe if you had stuck to that section you’d have been a lot happier. College coaches already know the players they like and the ones they are watching for development, they don’t need your help and neither does your daughter.

I agree with the previous posters, your view is very myopic, with a singular concern for promoting your own child and the type of parent that riles at any mention, no matter how benign, of anyone else’s child.

Trust those who have already posted when they say, you are doing your daughter more harm than good, both now and for the long term. The best suggestion I have is to take up photography and enjoy your daughter’s games quietly from behind the lens of a camera.

coyote
How are you connected to water polo?: fan

Postby coyote » Sat Feb 28, 2015 3:21 pm

wpdad wrote: ...... El Toro has Madison Parenteau who is arguably one of the fastest swimmers in water polo and a prolific scorer on the counter attack. She is also a very solid defender. San Clemente has Amber McCutchson who is on the national team and has scored 104 goals this season. Amber is a big and strong player, the only knock is she is slow and can't go for long. The secret to beating SC is to shut down Amber early in the game.. El Toro defiantly has the better balance with 5 players that can shoot from any place in the pool. El Toro has the fastest team in D 2 and rarely gets countered.

If your daughter is that good of a water polo player, you don't need to promote her because she can do that on her own in the pool.

wpdad wrote:What a classless act by the OC Register for running this article on the morning of El Toro's most important game in the history of E T Girls water polo. If El Toro wins today it will be because of the six other players on the starting roster. Not because of Damato. This article is an insult to the real stars of this team. Damato adds very little to this team other than being another player.

Albano, writes about the Laguna Bach Head Coach and his sister on El Toro. Is this article really an insult to the El Toro Girls' team or are you angry because your daughter is not mentioned by name in this article? Honestly, I would think San Clemente would be more upset with the article than an El Toro Parent.

wpdad. stop promoting your kids. Sit back and enjoy the game regardless of the outcome. What a wonderful and exciting experience for both teams. Enjoy the moment! It goes by too quickly!

polopoloandmorepolo

Postby polopoloandmorepolo » Sat Feb 28, 2015 3:44 pm

The real parents of oc water polo...... Pass the popcorn

Return to “High School GIRLS”