Class of 2022 Commits

Girls High School Competition
Justafan22
How are you connected to water polo?: Just a fan of WP

Re: Class of 2022 Commits

Postby Justafan22 » Sat Aug 21, 2021 12:36 am

AllaboutH2Opolo wrote:
polopost wrote:
newtothisgame wrote:From what I am learning, it is very common for water polo players to commit around this time, the summer before their senior seasons. The commitment is just verbal, but I believe that it keeps others schools from pursuing that player. I am not sure if this is an official or unwritten rule.

I assume that the school will let the recruit know exactly what classes they need to take, grades and test scores that they need to achieve, etc. in order to be admitted to the university.

The earliest that girl water polo players can officially sign their National Letter of Intent is in November of their senior years. This date varies by sport.

Pretty sure nothing 'binding' on coaches/ schools end unless 2 months before they sign NLI

Not true for Stanford recruits. In most cases they are already admitted to the University the summer before their senior years unless they are a late recruit.

When you say that they are already admitted, I assume it's a conditional admission, where, your senior year, you have to maintain a certain level of education and grades comparable to your first three years of high school?

AllaboutH2Opolo
How are you connected to water polo?: Fan/Parent

Postby AllaboutH2Opolo » Sat Aug 21, 2021 4:00 am

Justafan22 wrote:
AllaboutH2Opolo wrote:
polopost wrote:
newtothisgame wrote:From what I am learning, it is very common for water polo players to commit around this time, the summer before their senior seasons. The commitment is just verbal, but I believe that it keeps others schools from pursuing that player. I am not sure if this is an official or unwritten rule.

I assume that the school will let the recruit know exactly what classes they need to take, grades and test scores that they need to achieve, etc. in order to be admitted to the university.

The earliest that girl water polo players can officially sign their National Letter of Intent is in November of their senior years. This date varies by sport.

Pretty sure nothing 'binding' on coaches/ schools end unless 2 months before they sign NLI

Not true for Stanford recruits. In most cases they are already admitted to the University the summer before their senior years unless they are a late recruit.

When you say that they are already admitted, I assume it's a conditional admission, where, your senior year, you have to maintain a certain level of education and grades comparable to your first three years of high school?

Well of course…just like any kid who gets in early decision, even non athletes…if you don’t continue to excel they can rescind admission. I was mainly clarifying that with Stanford when you see players “committing” they’ve already submitted their app and been accepted. The NLI has to do with the $ they’re getting after they’ve been accepted at Stanford.

jlweath
How are you connected to water polo?: Was a player, age group coach, two sons played through college, and I am a fan

Postby jlweath » Sat Aug 21, 2021 10:20 am

It is kind of interesting that early in the commitment period, 3 of the Big 4 schools each have very selected area commitments:

- Stanford mainly Norcal girls with 1 Agoura girl
- UCLA Trinity league girls (4)
- USC Socal girls (3)

WaterPoloWoj
How are you connected to water polo?: Serious Journalist

Postby WaterPoloWoj » Wed Aug 25, 2021 5:33 pm

I’m back with a scoop.

Sources tell me Alex Scafidi ‘22 has committed to Indiana from the Bishop’s School. Great get for the Hoosiers.

-WoPo Woj

polopost
How are you connected to water polo?: Played in high school and college

Postby polopost » Mon Sep 06, 2021 5:36 pm

AllaboutH2Opolo wrote:
polopost wrote:

Key word "Binding" they may admit them early but it is not binding. Used to be 2 months before NLI date all communication was binding? Not sure what covid did to that and the signing dates

AllaboutH2Opolo

Postby AllaboutH2Opolo » Tue Sep 07, 2021 2:46 am

Polopost, I think it's semantics. In the context of the recruiting conversation, it's a done deal (for the Stanford recruit). If an athlete is admitted to Stanford the summer before their senior year and has announced they've committed, they are definitely going to matriculate. They've been admitted and announced their intention. At that point, no more recruiting conversations are happening for that athlete and they've let the other coaches who have been courting them know they've gotten into Stanford. The NLI is one specific aspect of the process that formalizes the "how much money am I getting" conversation but by the time that happens it's already a done deal. If an athlete needs to be sure they are getting enough money to attend, then I suppose they could wait to announce/commit until they 1) know for sure how much money they are getting in scholarship and 2) if the balance will be covered with financial aid. That particular scenario would mean you wouldn't hear about the commitment until later when the scholarship and financial aid package is finalized. Theoretically that recruit would then wait and not commit during the summer which could mean they are still talking to other schools.

The main point I'm trying to convey is that for Stanford this is not just a verbal commitment...they have actually applied and gotten a response from admissions saying they are in. For other universities, they wait for the early application cycle to actually apply and gain admission. For the Ivy League, I think it's been mentioned previously, they get a "likely letter" which signifies admissions will admit them provided they keep up the good work, but they still have to wait for the admissions cycle to get the official word.

The Dowager
How are you connected to water polo?: Vocal fan

Postby The Dowager » Wed Sep 08, 2021 2:25 am

AllaboutH2Opolo, from personal/family experience, may I further clarify for readers:
Ivy Likely Letters are mailed to *tagged* recruited athletes, as well as other highly desired non-athlete applicants only AFTER the student has formally applied, and their application has been reviewed by admissions. The Common App opened August 1st. If the tagged recruited athlete applied on that first day of the application window, then perhaps their Likely Letter could be mailed-out to them a week or so later, at the earliest. The athlete's application must still go through the application review process, committee review etc. This prospective Ivy athlete has already been pre-vetted by the coach and pre-read by Admissions. The Likely Letter the athlete receives after application and Admissions review is an early admissions letter, with slightly different wording than the second admissions letter the athlete will receive later, in mid-December. So the Ivy athlete receives two admissions letters, kind of nice! Parents or kids bragging about how they have a LL before the Common App window has even opened are flat-out lying or clueless. Hope this additional info helps illuminate the process.

desertbeachkid
How are you connected to water polo?: parent

Postby desertbeachkid » Wed Sep 08, 2021 11:18 am

Cant get a likely until after Oct. 1 per Ivy rules (see link for helpful timing info). Also, it's conceivable that a kid could say they have a likely when what they really mean is that the coach has allocated one of his likely letters to them. But the reality is that the final decision to issue a likely letter rests solely in the hands of admissions.

https://admission.princeton.edu/how-app ... n-policies

OCPoloDad

Postby OCPoloDad » Wed Sep 08, 2021 3:00 pm

Ditto to desertbeachkid and The Dowager above. Coach's influence but don't control the decision. The school admissions may also influence the athlete's last Semester class choices possibly saying "you need to add another AP/Honors class". They expect a FULL 4 years of academia, no such thing as a Senior year cruise mode :lol:

Justafan22

Postby Justafan22 » Wed Sep 08, 2021 3:11 pm

desertbeachkid wrote:Cant get a likely until after Oct. 1 per Ivy rules (see link for helpful timing info). Also, it's conceivable that a kid could say they have a likely when what they really mean is that the coach has allocated one of his likely letters to them. But the reality is that the final decision to issue a likely letter rests solely in the hands of admissions.

Great info guys thanks.

So in the case of UCs for example, or Cal State schools for that matter, which do not have early decision or early action, and are not on Common app, when a kid announces their Letter of Intent, in November, would that be sort of an understanding that as long as you go thru with admissions and get accepted to the school, then the coach, who most likely pre-vetted that recruit, will have a spot for you on the team? At that point, most likely the student has not gone through any kind of admissions review correct?

desertbeachkid
How are you connected to water polo?: parent

Postby desertbeachkid » Wed Sep 08, 2021 5:25 pm

See link below. Explains the difference between "committing" and signing an NLI. The fact that UCs don't use the common app shouldn't change this process (I think).

http://sportsthread.info/verbal-vs-nli
https://web3.ncaa.org/ECMIP/docs/nli_ed ... torial.pdf

AllaboutH2Opolo

Postby AllaboutH2Opolo » Wed Sep 08, 2021 5:55 pm

desertbeachkid wrote:Cant get a likely until after Oct. 1 per Ivy rules (see link for helpful timing info). Also, it's conceivable that a kid could say they have a likely when what they really mean is that the coach has allocated one of his likely letters to them. But the reality is that the final decision to issue a likely letter rests solely in the hands of admissions.

great point desertbeachkid. If you have a recruit and they've committed, make sure they know they have to put all their effort into their application because they could be the coach's top recruit and still not get in if they don't hand in a quality application.

The Dowager
How are you connected to water polo?: Vocal fan

Postby The Dowager » Wed Sep 08, 2021 11:16 pm

Oops yes, LL *after* Oct 1, been a while so I forgot. My kid submitted app after OV, which put it into Oct.

wpviewer
How are you connected to water polo?: supporter

Postby wpviewer » Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:24 am

HawkinsPolo4 wrote:
wprookie wrote:I'm surprised not to see any players listed for Cal. Do the Cal players wait to announce for any reason? Or, is it a signal that they are having trouble landing recruits?

It is interesting, but to my knowledge, Cal was also in the hiring process for a new assistant coach so they have had to balance sorting that out along with recruiting as usual. That being said, I think the school for as selective as it is will also hold off on some athletes announcing things.

This boards list shows 1 recruit to Cal to date - Nieve Courtney (San Clemente HS). (Congratulations to Niece by the way).

Cal in 2020 and 2021 had 9 and 6 recruits announced eventually. Roster shows 26 (8 international) and I don’t think it was updated with the 2021s yet (26 + 6 = 32?). So maybe their lack of announced commits is not only missing assistant coach but it’s roster size and or international recruits not announced yet?

UCLA roster has 28 (0 international + 1 gold medalist) including the 2021s. And they have already got several (4 or 5?) of the best of 2022 class announced.

USC - 28 (6 internationals + 1 gold medalist) not including the 2021s.

Justafan22

Postby Justafan22 » Mon Sep 13, 2021 2:16 pm

wpviewer wrote:
HawkinsPolo4 wrote:
wprookie wrote:I'm surprised not to see any players listed for Cal. Do the Cal players wait to announce for any reason? Or, is it a signal that they are having trouble landing recruits?

It is interesting, but to my knowledge, Cal was also in the hiring process for a new assistant coach so they have had to balance sorting that out along with recruiting as usual. That being said, I think the school for as selective as it is will also hold off on some athletes announcing things.

This boards list shows 1 recruit to Cal to date - Nieve Courtney (San Clemente HS). (Congratulations to Niece by the way).

Cal in 2020 and 2021 had 9 and 6 recruits announced eventually. Roster shows 26 (8 international) and I don’t think it was updated with the 2021s yet (26 + 6 = 32?). So maybe their lack of announced commits is not only missing assistant coach but it’s roster size and or international recruits not announced yet?

UCLA roster has 28 (0 international + 1 gold medalist) including the 2021s. And they have already got several (4 or 5?) of the best of 2022 class announced.

USC - 28 (6 internationals + 1 gold medalist) not including the 2021s.

Could be this situation, of very large rosters on many teams, loaded up from the last couple years of players getting extra years of eligibility by the NCAA. Probably will not bode well for class of 2022 as many have mentioned. COVID still wrecking havoc :sad:

Cream of the crop will still get recruited, but the next tiers of players, might feel the pinch, since at some point, the coaches will need to bring their rosters down to something manageable, I would think

Return to “High School GIRLS”