2021-22 CIF SS Div 1

Girls High School Competition
User avatar
Pmount43
Posts: 71
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2016 6:13 pm
How are you connected to water polo?: Fan

Re: 2021-22 CIF SS Div 1

Postby Pmount43 » Wed Dec 08, 2021 7:33 am

I’m assuming because they didn’t have an oficial game. But everyone in the waterpolo community knows both teams should be in the top 8. With Newport #1

jlweath
Posts: 3324
Joined: Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:02 pm
How are you connected to water polo?: Was a player, age group coach, two sons played through college, and I am a fan
Location: Spring Hill Tennessee

Re: 2021-22 CIF SS Div 1

Postby jlweath » Wed Dec 08, 2021 9:12 am

Mater Dei 12 Oaks Christian 1

ethandamato
Posts: 25
Joined: Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:14 pm
How are you connected to water polo?: Club & HS Coach

Re: 2021-22 CIF SS Div 1

Postby ethandamato » Wed Dec 08, 2021 9:35 pm

The advisory committee decided not to use any preseason results and only the results available at the time of the current poll. During the fall many teams were missing players or coaches for various reasons so we felt that creating the poll based solely on the results of the season itself seemed like a fair way to do things. Agree that it looks rough week 1 and agree that both Foothill and Newport will be ranked. Newport IMO is the preseason #1 for sure. Neither team had played a game for the first poll. This next poll should clear things up a bit following the Villa Park tournament and some big games.

Justafan22
Posts: 460
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:56 pm
How are you connected to water polo?: Just a fan of WP

Re: 2021-22 CIF SS Div 1

Postby Justafan22 » Sun Dec 12, 2021 2:28 am

Anybody knows score for the Laguna vs Olu game that happened Friday or today?

Also the CDM vs Foothill game apparently ended in a forfeit against CDM?



I also saw that Bishop made it to the final of the Villa Park classic

SwimCoach
Posts: 1627
Joined: Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:23 pm
How are you connected to water polo?: Fan, Instructor, Lifelong Swimmer

Re: 2021-22 CIF SS Div 1

Postby SwimCoach » Sun Dec 12, 2021 2:17 pm

Justafan22 wrote:Anybody knows score for the Laguna vs Olu game that happened Friday or today?


According to MaxPreps, Laguna won 8-7.

Justafan22
Posts: 460
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:56 pm
How are you connected to water polo?: Just a fan of WP

Re: 2021-22 CIF SS Div 1

Postby Justafan22 » Sun Dec 12, 2021 8:45 pm

SwimCoach wrote:
Justafan22 wrote:Anybody knows score for the Laguna vs Olu game that happened Friday or today?


According to MaxPreps, Laguna won 8-7.


CIF site show Laguna winning 8-7
It also shows Foothill winning vs CDM 5-0 but a friend told me Foothill actually won by forfeit. Don't know the details. Are covid related no shows or cancellations going to be considered forfeits this year. Not saying this is what happened in this case.

Justafan22
Posts: 460
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:56 pm
How are you connected to water polo?: Just a fan of WP

Re: 2021-22 CIF SS Div 1

Postby Justafan22 » Mon Dec 13, 2021 4:22 pm

Nice victory for Bishop, taking first at the Villa Park Classic this weekend. There were some good teams there

JackBurton
Posts: 456
Joined: Thu Feb 04, 2016 12:42 am
How are you connected to water polo?: Gold Standard of USA Water Polo

Re: 2021-22 CIF SS Div 1

Postby JackBurton » Tue Dec 14, 2021 11:04 am

DIVISION 1 - 12/13/21

1 Laguna Beach
T2 Orange Lutheran
T2 Mater Dei
T2 Newport Harbor
T5 San Marcos
T5 Los Alamitos
7 Foothill
8 Corona del Mar
T9 Wilson/Long Beach
T9 Agoura
11 Santa Margarita
T12 ML King
T12 Oaks Christian
14 Santa Barbara
T15 San Clemente
T15 Harvard Westlake
17 Huntington Beach
18 Dos Pueblos
Others: Redondo Union, Murrieta Valley,
Mira Costa, Rosary, Santiago/Corona,
Schurr

badboy
Posts: 418
Joined: Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:22 pm
How are you connected to water polo?: parent

Re: 2021-22 CIF SS Div 1

Postby badboy » Tue Dec 14, 2021 1:07 pm

JackBurton wrote:DIVISION 1 - 12/13/21

1 Laguna Beach
T2 Orange Lutheran
T2 Mater Dei
T2 Newport Harbor
T5 San Marcos
T5 Los Alamitos
7 Foothill
8 Corona del Mar
T9 Wilson/Long Beach
T9 Agoura
11 Santa Margarita
T12 ML King
T12 Oaks Christian
14 Santa Barbara
T15 San Clemente
T15 Harvard Westlake
17 Huntington Beach
18 Dos Pueblos
Others: Redondo Union, Murrieta Valley,
Mira Costa, Rosary, Santiago/Corona,
Schurr


Why is SM so low?

badboy
Posts: 418
Joined: Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:22 pm
How are you connected to water polo?: parent

Re: 2021-22 CIF SS Div 1

Postby badboy » Tue Dec 14, 2021 1:09 pm

SwimCoach wrote:
badboy wrote:It's a shame nobody else in SD is even close to Bishop's - they need to play those tough games more often if they want to claim to be the best.


Agree that Bishop's needs to play a tougher out of SD schedule. Glad to see them in some of the better tournaments this year. I do not think that they have participated in these recently.

Out of curiosity, what are you referring to when you say that Bishop's "...want to claim to be the best." Combination of CIF-SS and SD? The whole state?


SoCal. I don't know anything about NorCal.

SwimCoach
Posts: 1627
Joined: Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:23 pm
How are you connected to water polo?: Fan, Instructor, Lifelong Swimmer

Re: 2021-22 CIF SS Div 1

Postby SwimCoach » Tue Dec 14, 2021 1:26 pm

badboy wrote:Why is SM so low?


They lost to both LB Wilson and Agoura at the recent Villa Park tournament.

Justafan22
Posts: 460
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:56 pm
How are you connected to water polo?: Just a fan of WP

Re: 2021-22 CIF SS Div 1

Postby Justafan22 » Tue Dec 14, 2021 2:55 pm

JackBurton wrote:DIVISION 1 - 12/13/21

1 Laguna Beach
T2 Orange Lutheran
T2 Mater Dei
T2 Newport Harbor
T5 San Marcos
T5 Los Alamitos
7 Foothill
8 Corona del Mar
T9 Wilson/Long Beach
T9 Agoura
11 Santa Margarita
T12 ML King
T12 Oaks Christian
14 Santa Barbara
T15 San Clemente
T15 Harvard Westlake
17 Huntington Beach
18 Dos Pueblos
Others: Redondo Union, Murrieta Valley,
Mira Costa, Rosary, Santiago/Corona,
Schurr



Laguna back at #1 :D

All these will settle in to more accurate rankings after the next big tournament that is coming up in a couple weeks. By then everybody should have all their transfer players available since SOP will be over, and coaches will have a good feel for their rosters and what is available to them. Then the TOC is only 1 week after that.

SwimCoach
Posts: 1627
Joined: Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:23 pm
How are you connected to water polo?: Fan, Instructor, Lifelong Swimmer

Re: 2021-22 CIF SS Div 1

Postby SwimCoach » Tue Dec 14, 2021 3:35 pm

Justafan22 wrote:Laguna back at #1 :D

All these will settle in to more accurate rankings after the next big tournament that is coming up in a couple weeks. By then everybody should have all their transfer players available since SOP will be over, and coaches will have a good feel for their rosters and what is available to them. Then the TOC is only 1 week after that.


You have to tip your hat to Laguna. They lost 11 seniors, all of whom are currently playing D1, from last year's team including all six of their starting field players.

I agree, there will probably be a lot of movement in the rankings as the SOP ends, league games begin and the "Big Three" tournaments start.

I still think that Newport is the favorite, followed by Laguna and OLu. Los Al, MD, Foothill and San Marcos are right there too. There are quite a few new players and transfers who have not started playing yet, so it will be interesting to see how it all plays out.

Justafan22
Posts: 460
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:56 pm
How are you connected to water polo?: Just a fan of WP

Re: 2021-22 CIF SS Div 1

Postby Justafan22 » Tue Dec 14, 2021 8:41 pm

SwimCoach wrote:
Justafan22 wrote:Laguna back at #1 :D

All these will settle in to more accurate rankings after the next big tournament that is coming up in a couple weeks. By then everybody should have all their transfer players available since SOP will be over, and coaches will have a good feel for their rosters and what is available to them. Then the TOC is only 1 week after that.


You have to tip your hat to Laguna. They lost 11 seniors, all of whom are currently playing D1, from last year's team including all six of their starting field players.

I agree, there will probably be a lot of movement in the rankings as the SOP ends, league games begin and the "Big Three" tournaments start.

I still think that Newport is the favorite, followed by Laguna and OLu. Los Al, MD, Foothill and San Marcos are right there too. There are quite a few new players and transfers who have not started playing yet, so it will be interesting to see how it all plays out.


The Laguna Beach WP model, is by all means the best in the country, over the last ten years or so. It seems like no matter who graduates, they just reload and never miss a beat. The culture and community support the the city and parents bring, has no equal. laguna Beach High school, enrollment wise, is a small school. Yes some elite players always find ways to enroll in certain schools, maybe by 'living' with grandpa or an ant, but mostly the students all live in Laguna Beach. Or at least, that is what has been said. So yes definitely hats off, to the coaching staff, students and community.

You mention OLU. Let's see how it pans out, but there also, a lot of credit is due. A couple years ago they had a young strong team, that everybody said, "watch out in a couple years" Unfortunately, they went through an abrupt coaching change, and a few players suddenly left for other schools, but they seem to have settled in, and ready to compete for one of those three top spots. Definitely top 5 imo.

I agree with you. This could very well be Newport's year on the girls side, just like it was on the boys side. If this happens, Sinclair will have done a remarkable job, without having the advantages, that the privates schools have, of drawing from players, from any area.

Foothill I don't think was thought of being in the mix this year. They graduated a lot of talent the last couple years, and seemed like they were going to need a couple years to work their new crop of young players, up the ranks, and into positions where they can play extended quality minutes against the top teams. However they did get a couple transfers that are difference makers and will jump right into their starting line up on 12/26. Energetic coach has done a tremendous job there also, in reloading and getting players to buy into his system.

Los Al, San Marcos, MD. All teams with great, experienced coaches, who will also have them ready to compete. When you play for great coaches like this, you not only win, but you learn to play the right way, and this is what college coaches look for.

My hat actually goes off to all the young ladies who jump in and play waterpolo during the winter months. Ask the HS boys, who consider themselves so 'tough', if they would consider switching seasons every other year, and let us know what they tell you :lol:

SwimCoach
Posts: 1627
Joined: Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:23 pm
How are you connected to water polo?: Fan, Instructor, Lifelong Swimmer

Re: 2021-22 CIF SS Div 1

Postby SwimCoach » Tue Dec 14, 2021 9:57 pm

Justafan22 wrote:You mention OLU. Let's see how it pans out, but there also, a lot of credit is due. A couple years ago they had a young strong team, that everybody said, "watch out in a couple years" Unfortunately, they went through an abrupt coaching change, and a few players suddenly left for other schools, but they seem to have settled in, and ready to compete for one of those three top spots. Definitely top 5 imo.


Yes, OLu has lost a couple of players, but haven't they also benefited from some new players to team along with a transfer or two?

Return to “High School GIRLS”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests