2021-22 CIF SS Div 1

Girls High School Competition
Justafan22
How are you connected to water polo?: Just a fan of WP

Re: 2021-22 CIF SS Div 1

Postby Justafan22 » Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:36 pm

SwimCoach wrote:
newtothisgame wrote:Newport Harbor 15 Laguna Beach 8

That score is a surprise. Can't remember the last time that a Laguna team gave up 15 goals or got beat by 7. Goes to show how good Newport is.

Traded texts with a very knowledgeable friend who was at the game last night. He said that Newport's center Bia Mantellato was the best player that he has seen all year. She had 5 goals and drew a 5 meter shot. She had 4 goals in the first quarter alone. I had Newport as the top team entering the season with standouts Smith and Netherton, but adding Mantellato takes them to another level.

Looks like Newport has taken a page out of CDM's playbook when Greek transfer students Ioanna and Stephania Haralabidas joined their 2013 team and helped lead the team to their one and only CIF-SS Division 1 title. That was a great CDM team with Papa and freshman Musselmann, but the twin sisters put them over the top, much like Brazilian Bia Mantellato will do this year with Newport.

If I recall correctly, she was committed to Hawaii.

The Big 4 are probably now looking to see if she also has an application in with their schools :lol:

badboy
How are you connected to water polo?: parent

Postby badboy » Thu Jan 20, 2022 3:17 pm

It may be an unpopular opinion, but importing talent to play on HS teams is a cheap way to win, particularly on a squad as good as Newport already is. If I'm a player at NHHS I'd rather lose with kids I've played a lifetime with than win with players you don't even know.

Justafan22

Postby Justafan22 » Thu Jan 20, 2022 6:50 pm

badboy wrote:It may be an unpopular opinion, but importing talent to play on HS teams is a cheap way to win, particularly on a squad as good as Newport already is. If I'm a player at NHHS I'd rather lose with kids I've played a lifetime with than win with players you don't even know.

Yes but if you are a coach at a high school, in any sport , and administration tells you; "hey we just got a kid that came in from blah blah blah, and apparently she is good at (sport), and she will come and see you in a couple days"
Well then any coach would say "OK cool, let's see what she's got"
Because we all know these "hot shot new athletes at school" only pick schools at random ;-)

newtothisgame
How are you connected to water polo?: Parent and fan.

Postby newtothisgame » Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:35 pm

Newport Harbor 8 Los Alamitos 4

CapeFear
How are you connected to water polo?: Player

Postby CapeFear » Fri Jan 21, 2022 3:18 am

What Novella are you reading. The Greek sisters cousin is Newport resident, CDM grad/ Stanford player Chloe Harbilas and hence the opportunity to leave the economic crisis at the time in Greece and get exposure with US college coaches and a scholarship to improve their future. Newport Polo would get the occasional foreigner such as Luca Cupido because they have ties to the Newport area, be it family, friends, homes or business. It maybe likely the Brazilian girl is in a similar situation. All the good local talent has been gravitating toward Newport’s winning ways. In short u have the majority of the best women water players in the US coming from a radius of less than 20 miles. Not a good way to grow the sport.

SwimCoach wrote:
newtothisgame wrote:Newport Harbor 15 Laguna Beach 8

That score is a surprise. Can't remember the last time that a Laguna team gave up 15 goals or got beat by 7. Goes to show how good Newport is.

Traded texts with a very knowledgeable friend who was at the game last night. He said that Newport's center Bia Mantellato was the best player that he has seen all year. She had 5 goals and drew a 5 meter shot. She had 4 goals in the first quarter alone. I had Newport as the top team entering the season with standouts Smith and Netherton, but adding Mantellato takes them to another level.

Looks like Newport has taken a page out of CDM's playbook when Greek transfer students Ioanna and Stephania Haralabidas joined their 2013 team and helped lead the team to their one and only CIF-SS Division 1 title. That was a great CDM team with Papa and freshman Musselmann, but the twin sisters put them over the top, much like Brazilian Bia Mantellato will do this year with Newport.

SwimCoach
How are you connected to water polo?: Fan, Instructor, Lifelong Swimmer

Postby SwimCoach » Fri Jan 21, 2022 5:57 am

CapeFear wrote:What Novella are you reading. The Greek sisters cousin is Newport resident, CDM grad/ Stanford player Chloe Harbilas and hence the opportunity to leave the economic crisis at the time in Greece and get exposure with US college coaches and a scholarship to improve their future. Newport Polo would get the occasional foreigner such as Luca Cupido because they have ties to the Newport area, be it family, friends, homes or business. It maybe likely the Brazilian girl is in a similar situation. All the good local talent has been gravitating toward Newport’s winning ways. In short u have the majority of the best women water players in the US coming from a radius of less than 20 miles. Not a good way to grow the sport.

What part of my post was not accurate?

Also, they had both signed to play for USC before they ever played a game with CDM.

jlweath
How are you connected to water polo?: Was a player, age group coach, two sons played through college, and I am a fan

Postby jlweath » Fri Jan 21, 2022 5:29 pm

Mater Dei now in the lead to win the Trinity league title.

Mater Dei 10 Santa Margarita 8

Good tough game. SM was without their starting hole guard unfortunately. SM have not had all their starters in a game since their 1st game against CDM (SM won 10-5).

Justafan22

Postby Justafan22 » Fri Jan 21, 2022 7:31 pm

jlweath wrote:Mater Dei now in the lead to win the Trinity league title.

Mater Dei 10 Santa Margarita 8

Good tough game. SM was without their starting hole guard unfortunately. SM have not had all their starters in a game since their 1st game against CDM (SM won 10-5).

Hopefully they can get all their starters back to finish out the season and hopefully slip into that # 8 spot. They surely were expected to contend to Elite 8 when the season started.

CDM gave Laguna a great fight yesterday. CDM is loosing close games but always ready to battle. Their issue might be what Los Al had a few years back, where they were a very good team, but had a loosing record and so they were left completely out of CIF playoffs. All because of the strength of the Surf league.

The Dowager
How are you connected to water polo?: Vocal fan

Postby The Dowager » Sat Jan 22, 2022 2:06 am

From Santa Barbara TOC:

OLu 10 San Marcos 9

Laguna 11 San Marcos 3

lapolodad
How are you connected to water polo?: Dad

Postby lapolodad » Sat Jan 22, 2022 8:05 pm

From Santa Barbara TOC:

Los Al 14 - Aguora 11
Los Al 13 - San Marcos 5

newtothisgame
How are you connected to water polo?: Parent and fan.

Postby newtothisgame » Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:08 am

From Santa Barbara:

Newport Harbor 20 Agoura 6
Newport Harbor 12 San Marcos 7
Newport Harbor 12 Santa Barbara 5

Justafan22

Postby Justafan22 » Tue Jan 25, 2022 3:14 pm

The new polls are out. I am not familiar on exactly how these coaches polls are figured out, but why is there always so many ties in Div 1, and never in the other divisions>

Right now, the teams seem to be lined up pretty accurately by the results that we have been seeing, but there are 4 teams tied for 3rd and 4 teams tied for 12th. How do you have so many ties, at the same seeding position? I'm not criticizing who is seeded where, i'm just curious how they do it, and what are the odds of 4 teams being tied for 12th for example

polo45
How are you connected to water polo?: Coach

Postby polo45 » Tue Jan 25, 2022 4:22 pm

These are rankings, not seedings. In the event there is a tie in the final coaches poll, CIF would make the call on who goes where. I would imagine this final tournament play will break most if not all the ties in the final poll. League placement will also help in the final week.

badboy
How are you connected to water polo?: parent

Postby badboy » Tue Jan 25, 2022 5:23 pm

Justafan22 wrote:The new polls are out. I am not familiar on exactly how these coaches polls are figured out, but why is there always so many ties in Div 1, and never in the other divisions>

Right now, the teams seem to be lined up pretty accurately by the results that we have been seeing, but there are 4 teams tied for 3rd and 4 teams tied for 12th. How do you have so many ties, at the same seeding position? I'm not criticizing who is seeded where, i'm just curious how they do it, and what are the odds of 4 teams being tied for 12th for example

Link?

SwimCoach
How are you connected to water polo?: Fan, Instructor, Lifelong Swimmer

Postby SwimCoach » Tue Jan 25, 2022 5:46 pm

Return to “High School GIRLS”