Santa Barbara TOC 1/6-1/8

Girls High School Competition
Crazylikeafox
How are you connected to water polo?: Fan

Santa Barbara TOC 1/6-1/8

Postby Crazylikeafox » Thu Dec 30, 2021 2:19 pm

Anyone have a schedule for next weekend? Hoping this is able to be played!

Justafan22
How are you connected to water polo?: Just a fan of WP

Re: Santa Barbara TOC 1/6-1/8

Postby Justafan22 » Thu Dec 30, 2021 8:12 pm

Crazylikeafox wrote:Anyone have a schedule for next weekend? Hoping this is able to be played!

If it is played, I'm sure the schedule will be changing all the way until the day of, as team pull out

Pmount43

Postby Pmount43 » Sat Jan 01, 2022 7:22 pm

Anyone know if this tournament still on? Haven’t seen any schedules. Happy New Years to everyone

Justafan22

Postby Justafan22 » Mon Jan 03, 2022 4:36 am

Just saw on Twitter that it is still planned to be on

The Dowager
How are you connected to water polo?: Vocal fan

Postby The Dowager » Mon Jan 03, 2022 11:24 am

(From OC Register’s Dan Albano) Girls water polo: Good news from Santa Barbara coach Mark Walsh, Tournament of Champions, scheduled for Thurs-Sat, still being planned

Crazylikeafox

Postby Crazylikeafox » Mon Jan 03, 2022 4:54 pm

Justafan22

Postby Justafan22 » Mon Jan 03, 2022 9:52 pm

Crazylikeafox wrote:I just received the schedule.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... view#gid=0

Top 8 teams will be fun to watch.

Somehow, I don't think this will be the final schedule, since some teams are bound to drop out due to COVID protocols

jlweath
How are you connected to water polo?: Was a player, age group coach, two sons played through college, and I am a fan

Postby jlweath » Tue Jan 04, 2022 9:43 am

Huntington Beach was originally scheduled to compete but dropped out early.

Justafan22

Postby Justafan22 » Tue Jan 04, 2022 3:51 pm

jlweath wrote:Huntington Beach was originally scheduled to compete but dropped out early.

First week back at school for most districts. A lot of those kids will be back at school with mild or no symptoms, but be Covid positive. How fast will those cases come up, and how many? Who knows. But what do you do, if your team is travelling by van or school bus and when you get there, you notice 3 or 4 of your players, not looking great after that 2 or 3 hr drive. Not sure how teams travel for this. Hopefully it's with their parents, or only a few per car. Or maybe they get lucky enough that this tournament passes, before school cases blow up and sports events start getting cancelled completely.

I'm not saying this is what should happen, or what is proper protocol, but come on please. To the higher powers above us. We don't need another winter of this :mad:

jhwp
How are you connected to water polo?: Parent

Postby jhwp » Tue Jan 04, 2022 5:08 pm

Justafan22 wrote:First week back at school for most districts. A lot of those kids will be back at school with mild or no symptoms, but be Covid positive. How fast will those cases come up, and how many? Who knows. But what do you do, if your team is travelling by van or school bus and when you get there, you notice 3 or 4 of your players, not looking great after that 2 or 3 hr drive. Not sure how teams travel for this. Hopefully it's with their parents, or only a few per car. Or maybe they get lucky enough that this tournament passes, before school cases blow up and sports events start getting cancelled completely.

I'm not saying this is what should happen, or what is proper protocol, but come on please. To the higher powers above us. We don't need another winter of this :mad:

Let's keep this in perspective - omicron statistically is somewhere between a cold and a mild flu for kids and for vaccinated adults. (For those without prior immune response, vaccination or otherwise, good luck!) And it's so contagious that everyone is going to get it. E.V.E.R.Y.O.N.E.

Canceling anything for a disease this mild is insane. If your school officials start canceling stuff, please let's all agree now to agitate en masse. Bombard with emails and calls. Now if CA lets loose its authoritarian powers again, that's a different story . . .

polo45
How are you connected to water polo?: Coach

Postby polo45 » Tue Jan 04, 2022 7:08 pm

Justafan22 wrote:
jlweath wrote:Huntington Beach was originally scheduled to compete but dropped out early.

First week back at school for most districts. A lot of those kids will be back at school with mild or no symptoms, but be Covid positive. How fast will those cases come up, and how many? Who knows. But what do you do, if your team is travelling by van or school bus and when you get there, you notice 3 or 4 of your players, not looking great after that 2 or 3 hr drive. Not sure how teams travel for this. Hopefully it's with their parents, or only a few per car. Or maybe they get lucky enough that this tournament passes, before school cases blow up and sports events start getting cancelled completely.

I'm not sure I understand the point of this post. Both Santa Barbara schools traveled down last week for the Holiday Cup. I'm sure it's inevitable that teams will be missing players and or not be able to travel. That was the case during boys season as well as some schools were aloud to travel and some were not. I would expect that to continue through January. With the new isolation period in California players and teams will be less impacted than the previous rules.

Justafan22

Postby Justafan22 » Wed Jan 05, 2022 12:07 am

jhwp wrote:
Justafan22 wrote:First week back at school for most districts. A lot of those kids will be back at school with mild or no symptoms, but be Covid positive. How fast will those cases come up, and how many? Who knows. But what do you do, if your team is travelling by van or school bus and when you get there, you notice 3 or 4 of your players, not looking great after that 2 or 3 hr drive. Not sure how teams travel for this. Hopefully it's with their parents, or only a few per car. Or maybe they get lucky enough that this tournament passes, before school cases blow up and sports events start getting cancelled completely.

Let's keep this in perspective - omicron statistically is somewhere between a cold and a mild flu for kids and for vaccinated adults. (For those without prior immune response, vaccination or otherwise, good luck!) And it's so contagious that everyone is going to get it. E.V.E.R.Y.O.N.E.

Canceling anything for a disease this mild is insane. If your school officials start canceling stuff, please let's all agree now to agitate en masse. Bombard with emails and calls. Now if CA lets loose its authoritarian powers again, that's a different story . . .

I do agree with you. I'm just concerned of how strict colleges are being for returning to sports and mandatory testing of students coming back, before they can practice, and most college students are vaccinated, so what are school districts going to start doing, since a lot of students are not vaccinated, by choice I might add.

SwimCoach
How are you connected to water polo?: Fan, Instructor, Lifelong Swimmer

Postby SwimCoach » Wed Jan 05, 2022 1:44 am

I always look forward to this tournament and hope that all of the teams can participate. Santa Barbara's Mark Walsh runs a great program and this tournament is always one of the highlights of the season.

Justafan22

Postby Justafan22 » Wed Jan 05, 2022 6:37 pm

Just checked the schedule and it says that one team just dropped out. Not sure which team, but let's hope it holds up and gets played

SwimCoach
How are you connected to water polo?: Fan, Instructor, Lifelong Swimmer

Postby SwimCoach » Wed Jan 05, 2022 6:40 pm

Justafan22 wrote:Just checked the schedule and it says that one team just dropped out. Not sure which team, but let's hope it holds up and gets played

I think that Bishop's dropped out.

Return to “High School GIRLS”