How are you connected to water polo?: Vocal fan

Re: Santa Barbara TOC 1/6-1/8

Postby The Dowager » Thu Jan 06, 2022 3:54 pm

Just heard TOC has been cancelled.

OCWaterpolofan29
How are you connected to water polo?: Fan

Postby OCWaterpolofan29 » Thu Jan 06, 2022 4:04 pm

SB school districts made the decision to cancel the tournament due to growing COVID concerns. It seems that there is a growing possibility of further cancellations and postponements.

ltoddnelson
How are you connected to water polo?: Photographer

Postby ltoddnelson » Thu Jan 06, 2022 4:05 pm

The Dowager wrote:Just heard TOC has been cancelled.

Just had the car packed and ready to head out when my daughter yelled out to say it got cancelled. Back to work, I guess.

The Dowager

Postby The Dowager » Thu Jan 06, 2022 4:40 pm

SwimCoach
How are you connected to water polo?: Fan, Instructor, Lifelong Swimmer

Postby SwimCoach » Thu Jan 06, 2022 5:10 pm

The Dowager wrote:Local SB TV is saying postponed.

https://twitter.com/mikeklantv/status/1 ... 53729?s=21

Mark Walsh said that he is hoping to have the tournament at a later date.

All of our local soccer games have been cancelled too.

The Dowager

Postby The Dowager » Thu Jan 06, 2022 5:32 pm

SwimCoach wrote:
The Dowager wrote:Local SB TV is saying postponed.

https://twitter.com/mikeklantv/status/1 ... 53729?s=21

Mark Walsh said that he is hoping to have the tournament at a later date.

All of our local soccer games have been cancelled too.

Seems weird that the school district is cancelling OUTDOOR sports.

Rather than postponing, wouldn’t it make more sense to restrict pool access to just 2 people per player and ask everyone to space out/mask up in the stands. This is not like last January, when most people were unvaccinated.

SwimCoach
How are you connected to water polo?: Fan, Instructor, Lifelong Swimmer

Postby SwimCoach » Thu Jan 06, 2022 5:42 pm

The Dowager wrote:Seems weird that the school district is cancelling OUTDOOR sports.

Rather than postponing, wouldn’t it make more sense to restrict pool access to just 2 people per player and ask everyone to space out/mask up in the stands. This is not like last January, when most people were unvaccinated.

As of right now, UCSB is not allowing spectators to their upcoming home swim meets on January 8 and 15.

jhwp
How are you connected to water polo?: Parent

Postby jhwp » Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:27 pm

SwimCoach wrote:
The Dowager wrote:Seems weird that the school district is cancelling OUTDOOR sports.

As of right now, UCSB is not allowing spectators to their upcoming home swim meets on January 8 and 15.

So pathetic! The people making these decisions need to get their heads examined.

Justafan22
How are you connected to water polo?: Just a fan of WP

Postby Justafan22 » Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 pm

It's just unfortunate all the way around. The winter sports will take the brunt again this year.

A lot of California school are 100% remote right now, but with kids on campus. Not sure how that helps if kids can hang together in dorms to do remote learning, but not in class, where they could be more monitored to wear masks and stuff. I believe the UCs and CSUs are this way.

A friend in the Midwest tells me that a couple local colleges, are 100% in person and since everybody on campus is vaccinated and boosted when possible, they are just going to let it play out. They do testing and wear masks but everybody is in person in class. If a person is positive they ask that person to isolate but do not bother with contact tracing.

Not sure what other schools that have to play againts them will think about this. Or maybe my friend does not have his facts straight, but if it's accurate they are probably banking on everybody getting it and over with in a few weeks and then back to normal.

UNtil somebody gets really sick and with complications, and takes the school to court for gross neglicence

jhwp
How are you connected to water polo?: Parent

Postby jhwp » Fri Jan 07, 2022 12:29 am

Justafan22 wrote:It's just unfortunate all the way around. The winter sports will take the brunt again this year.

A lot of California school are 100% remote right now, but with kids on campus. Not sure how that helps if kids can hang together in dorms to do remote learning, but not in class, where they could be more monitored to wear masks and stuff. I believe the UCs and CSUs are this way.

A friend in the Midwest tells me that a couple local colleges, are 100% in person and since everybody on campus is vaccinated and boosted when possible, they are just going to let it play out. They do testing and wear masks but everybody is in person in class. If a person is positive they ask that person to isolate but do not bother with contact tracing.

Not sure what other schools that have to play againts them will think about this. Or maybe my friend does not have his facts straight, but if it's accurate they are probably banking on everybody getting it and over with in a few weeks and then back to normal.

UNtil somebody gets really sick and with complications, and takes the school to court for gross neglicence

Claim: no establishment has been successfully sued throughout the pandemic for not protecting patrons. Ever. This weak-a__ spineless reflexively cancelling has got to stop. It's so damaging to our children and benefits absolutely no one. Omicron is less dangerous than the flu for children and for vaccinated adults. Full stop.

Please everyone, call your school, district, county officials. Whoever is making decisions to cancel needs to get bombarded. This won't change on its own.

Sctrojanje
How are you connected to water polo?: Family and fan. Daughter plays, I played and wife coached and played

Postby Sctrojanje » Fri Jan 07, 2022 3:04 pm

Not to start another fight, argument, etc....but....

Why does the girls in Southern Section and San Diego Section not go to the Fall Season like the rest of California? I understand the argument of "The pool space...", but that falls on it's face as the rest of us in California makes it work. I also believe another issue is the one coach for both the Boys and Girls Team, but some schools make it work (looking at you Garces Memorial in Backwardsfield,...errr, I mean Bakersfield).

In my opinion and mine alone, I think this is a great impetus to make the change. I also believe once the change is made, we can have a true State CIF Championship (Open, D-1, D-2,....D-7,etc...). I also think another change would be the pulling the rest of the nation towards a one combined season (Florida, Texas, Michigan, Hawaii, Illinois, are some states that it's a spring sport).

Someone can remind me, but was there any tournament that was cancelled in the fall due to COVID?

Finally should this be a new topic and allow the brainstorming?

Justafan22

Postby Justafan22 » Fri Jan 07, 2022 4:24 pm

Sctrojanje wrote:Not to start another fight, argument, etc....but....

Why does the girls in Southern Section and San Diego Section not go to the Fall Season like the rest of California? I understand the argument of "The pool space...", but that falls on it's face as the rest of us in California makes it work. I also believe another issue is the one coach for both the Boys and Girls Team, but some schools make it work (looking at you Garces Memorial in Backwardsfield,...errr, I mean Bakersfield).

In my opinion and mine alone, I think this is a great impetus to make the change. I also believe once the change is made, we can have a true State CIF Championship (Open, D-1, D-2,....D-7,etc...). I also think another change would be the pulling the rest of the nation towards a one combined season (Florida, Texas, Michigan, Hawaii, Illinois, are some states that it's a spring sport).

Someone can remind me, but was there any tournament that was cancelled in the fall due to COVID?

I think it also has to do with not enough referees. In some cases you could have boys and girls games on the same day, but if two schools are playing and they both have 3 levels at Boys and girls, that's 6 games and can't be done on same day. So now you need two days worth of refs and they can't be somewhere else. Same goes with practice time. You can't have all these kids practicing at the same time. In season they have to practice every day, both girls and boys. It's just the shear numbers of kids playing, which I think are much more than in other areas, and the availability of referees.

If you go on CIFss website and pull up how many girls waterpolo games there are in one week, at all levels, D1 to D6, you will be amazed on how they can even find enough reffs for that many games. So now double it for boys season being run att he same time !!!!

Sctrojanje
How are you connected to water polo?: Family and fan. Daughter plays, I played and wife coached and played

Postby Sctrojanje » Fri Jan 07, 2022 7:13 pm

Justafan22 wrote:

I think it also has to do with not enough referees. In some cases you could have boys and girls games on the same day, but if two schools are playing and they both have 3 levels at Boys and girls, that's 6 games and can't be done on same day. So now you need two days worth of refs and they can't be somewhere else. Same goes with practice time. You can't have all these kids practicing at the same time. In season they have to practice every day, both girls and boys. It's just the shear numbers of kids playing, which I think are much more than in other areas, and the availability of referees.

If you go on CIFss website and pull up how many girls waterpolo games there are in one week, at all levels, D1 to D6, you will be amazed on how they can even find enough reffs for that many games. So now double it for boys season being run att he same time !!!!

Thanks,

I forgot about the Freshman teams. In Valley it is JV and Varsity only.

Justafan22

Postby Justafan22 » Sat Jan 08, 2022 1:18 am

Sctrojanje wrote:
Justafan22 wrote:

Thanks,

I forgot about the Freshman teams. In Valley it is JV and Varsity only.

I did a quick search on CIFSS website, and this week, it says there were 320 games from Div 1 to Div 6. Som games seem to be duplicates and that means they are probably JV and Frosh/soph games, specially since they have no scores posted, but it gives you an idea of the amount of games happening as it is

The Dowager

Postby The Dowager » Thu Jan 13, 2022 4:19 pm

I saw in the local SB newspaper that the school district superintendent will decide by Friday about restarting sports:

https://www.noozhawk.com/article/santa_ ... ing_sports

Return to “High School GIRLS”