Santa Barbara TOC 1/6-1/8

Girls High School Competition
SwimCoach
How are you connected to water polo?: Fan, Instructor, Lifelong Swimmer

Re: Santa Barbara TOC 1/6-1/8

Postby SwimCoach » Fri Jan 14, 2022 3:06 pm

Winter high school sports were cleared to begin again in Santa Barbara. I am hearing rumblings of the Tournament of Champions happening next week.

The Dowager
How are you connected to water polo?: Vocal fan

Postby The Dowager » Fri Jan 14, 2022 3:12 pm

SwimCoach wrote:Winter high school sports were cleared to begin again in Santa Barbara. I am hearing rumblings of the Tournament of Champions happening next week.

Yup. Games on Friday and Saturday.

PoloEagle22
How are you connected to water polo?: Parent, former coach, former player

Postby PoloEagle22 » Fri Jan 14, 2022 3:25 pm

Sctrojanje wrote:Not to start another fight, argument, etc....but....

Why does the girls in Southern Section and San Diego Section not go to the Fall Season like the rest of California? I understand the argument of "The pool space...", but that falls on it's face as the rest of us in California makes it work. I also believe another issue is the one coach for both the Boys and Girls Team, but some schools make it work (looking at you Garces Memorial in Backwardsfield,...errr, I mean Bakersfield).

In my opinion and mine alone, I think this is a great impetus to make the change. I also believe once the change is made, we can have a true State CIF Championship (Open, D-1, D-2,....D-7,etc...). I also think another change would be the pulling the rest of the nation towards a one combined season (Florida, Texas, Michigan, Hawaii, Illinois, are some states that it's a spring sport).

Someone can remind me, but was there any tournament that was cancelled in the fall due to COVID?

Finally should this be a new topic and allow the brainstorming?

Previously someone mentioned moving swim to winter, and girls polo to spring. This might help with pool access and would be more in line with the collegiate season. I think that might be a good way to go, although you still have weather issues with outdoor winter sports in other parts of the state.

badboy
How are you connected to water polo?: parent

Postby badboy » Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:03 pm

PoloEagle22 wrote:
Sctrojanje wrote:Not to start another fight, argument, etc....but....

Why does the girls in Southern Section and San Diego Section not go to the Fall Season like the rest of California? I understand the argument of "The pool space...", but that falls on it's face as the rest of us in California makes it work. I also believe another issue is the one coach for both the Boys and Girls Team, but some schools make it work (looking at you Garces Memorial in Backwardsfield,...errr, I mean Bakersfield).

In my opinion and mine alone, I think this is a great impetus to make the change. I also believe once the change is made, we can have a true State CIF Championship (Open, D-1, D-2,....D-7,etc...). I also think another change would be the pulling the rest of the nation towards a one combined season (Florida, Texas, Michigan, Hawaii, Illinois, are some states that it's a spring sport).

Someone can remind me, but was there any tournament that was cancelled in the fall due to COVID?

Finally should this be a new topic and allow the brainstorming?

Previously someone mentioned moving swim to winter, and girls polo to spring. This might help with pool access and would be more in line with the collegiate season. I think that might be a good way to go, although you still have weather issues with outdoor winter sports in other parts of the state.

Spring leaks way too far into the prep for summer club season. It would be fine for clubs made up mainly of their HS players, but clubs that draw from larger areas would suffer. Polo in winter is fine - Nor Cal should try it.

waterpolonewbe
How are you connected to water polo?: fan

Postby waterpolonewbe » Wed Jan 19, 2022 4:29 pm

The Dowager wrote:
SwimCoach wrote:Winter high school sports were cleared to begin again in Santa Barbara. I am hearing rumblings of the Tournament of Champions happening next week.

Are the times and match-ups the same as the previous schedule, just with the new dates?

The Dowager
How are you connected to water polo?: Vocal fan

Postby The Dowager » Wed Jan 19, 2022 4:38 pm

waterpolonewbe wrote:
The Dowager wrote:

Are the times and match-ups the same as the previous schedule, just with the new dates?

Not sure. I haven’t seen a schedule. I just heard they were playing games on Friday and Saturday.

Justafan22
How are you connected to water polo?: Just a fan of WP

Postby Justafan22 » Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:28 pm

The Dowager wrote:
waterpolonewbe wrote:
The Dowager wrote:

Not sure. I haven’t seen a schedule. I just heard they were playing games on Friday and Saturday.

Does not appear to be run as a tournmanent. Maybe just games for whoever could get up there and also had open days on their schedule

Return to “High School GIRLS”