How are you connected to water polo?: Fan

Elite 8 and Socal championship tournament

Postby Pmount43 » Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:55 pm

Any news on these tournaments coming up? Hope they still have the green light

Justafan22
How are you connected to water polo?: Just a fan of WP

Re: Elite 8 and Socal championship tournament

Postby Justafan22 » Fri Jan 14, 2022 5:21 pm

Pmount43 wrote:Any news on these tournaments coming up? Hope they still have the green light

And the TOC in Santa Barbara still apparently trying to reschedule.
Might not be enough weekends left in the season.

CIF starts in 4 weeks or so

fanofwp
How are you connected to water polo?: Water polo dad and sometimes ref.

Postby fanofwp » Mon Jan 24, 2022 4:53 pm

The statement I'm about to make is not a knock on Santa Barbara but the organizers of this tournament. How is Santa Barabara seeded ahead of a bunch of teams that beat them like Agoura, MLK, and Santa Margarita? Something tells me that the people running it are seeded in the top 4 and want an easy road to the semis.

https://1drv.ms/x/s!Asjhz6_zPiVvgrhQJ0U ... A?e=4ET4M4

sbdad
How are you connected to water polo?: parent, fan, player

Postby sbdad » Mon Jan 24, 2022 5:13 pm

looks like SB is the 8 seed the others you mention are higher.

The Dowager
How are you connected to water polo?: Vocal fan

Postby The Dowager » Mon Jan 24, 2022 5:33 pm

sbdad wrote:looks like SB is the 8 seed the others you mention are higher.

Where are you seeing SB as the 8 seed? On the spreadsheet it shows them as the 4 seed.

The Dowager
How are you connected to water polo?: Vocal fan

Postby The Dowager » Mon Jan 24, 2022 5:35 pm

The Dowager wrote:

Where are you seeing SB as the 8 seed? On the spreadsheet it shows them as the 4 seed.

OK I see it now. At first glance it looks like they are 4 seed, but the brackets are not in the normal order for seeding and below it shows them as 8 seed.

Justafan22

Postby Justafan22 » Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:54 pm

The Dowager wrote:
The Dowager wrote:

OK I see it now. At first glance it looks like they are 4 seed, but the brackets are not in the normal order for seeding and below it shows them as 8 seed.

Correct SB is #8. Brackets are just not lined up like they usually are. For example CDM looks like they are #5 but they are actually #2

LimeyPoloDad
How are you connected to water polo?: Former player & coach, now a polo dad

Postby LimeyPoloDad » Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:53 pm

Justafan22

Postby Justafan22 » Tue Jan 25, 2022 2:26 am

LimeyPoloDad wrote:Schedule for Elite 8:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... edit#gid=0

Isn't Friday a regular school day for most?

I guess it's better to take Friday off school to play water polo, and that way you can go to church on Sunday

jlweath
How are you connected to water polo?: Was a player, age group coach, two sons played through college, and I am a fan

Postby jlweath » Tue Jan 25, 2022 9:56 am

SOCAl Tournament down to 24 teams now and have adjusted their brackets and seeds again

Oldman1969
How are you connected to water polo?: Fan

Postby Oldman1969 » Tue Jan 25, 2022 1:20 pm

Was Los Al not invited ? They have wins over Mater Dei, Foothill and San Marcos this season.

Justafan22

Postby Justafan22 » Tue Jan 25, 2022 2:58 pm

Oldman1969 wrote:

Was Los Al not invited ? They have wins over Mater Dei, Foothill and San Marcos this season.

I do see Los Al as the #1 seed in the 24 team Irvine Championships, which will have some very entertaining matches also. Lots of good teams there also, and Los Al does look like the correct pick at #1.
Maybe they had already committed to that tournament. Or maybe Sinclair wanted to include a couple teams from San Diego area, to see where those teams stack up. It does look like Carlsbad will be over matched, in any of the games it plays in the Newport Elite 8 tournament, but the other team better come ready to play them. A loss or close call to Carlsbad would drop you lower in next weeks Open seedings

badboy
How are you connected to water polo?: parent

Postby badboy » Tue Jan 25, 2022 5:22 pm

Justafan22 wrote:
Oldman1969 wrote:

I do see Los Al as the #1 seed in the 24 team Irvine Championships, which will have some very entertaining matches also. Lots of good teams there also, and Los Al does look like the correct pick at #1.
Maybe they had already committed to that tournament. Or maybe Sinclair wanted to include a couple teams from San Diego area, to see where those teams stack up. It does look like Carlsbad will be over matched, in any of the games it plays in the Newport Elite 8 tournament, but the other team better come ready to play them. A loss or close call to Carlsbad would drop you lower in next weeks Open seedings

I'll bet Carlsbad's players would trade slots with Los Al in a quick second lol.

I had a chance to watch Carlsbad last weekend and they looked really good against Schurr and Yucaipa, but they're going to get absolutely smoked in Newport. One of their parents mentioned that they start 3 freshmen and a sophomore who is back after a year off, so perhaps they can use this as a learning experience for next season. Growing pains or such.

Justafan22

Postby Justafan22 » Tue Jan 25, 2022 6:28 pm

badboy wrote:
Justafan22 wrote:
Oldman1969 wrote:

I'll bet Carlsbad's players would trade slots with Los Al in a quick second lol.

I had a chance to watch Carlsbad last weekend and they looked really good against Schurr and Yucaipa, but they're going to get absolutely smoked in Newport. One of their parents mentioned that they start 3 freshmen and a sophomore who is back after a year off, so perhaps they can use this as a learning experience for next season. Growing pains or such.

Would not be a bad idea to switch spots with Los Al. They are going to make the trek up this way anyways, and a change would line up better with both teams. You would think

Justafan22

Postby Justafan22 » Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:17 am

badboy wrote:
Justafan22 wrote:
Oldman1969 wrote:

Los Al just lost a one goal game to Laguna 7-8. They were down 4-6 going into the 4th and almost came back. They are clearly one the top 4 teams in Div 1 right now. They really seem to be in the wrong tournament right now, unless it's a very clever calculation.

If and only if they win the Irvine Championships, it should almost guaranty them, one of the top 4 seedings in Open Div come Feb 7th when they pick the top 8.
The teams close to them, yet currently behind them; Mater Dei, Foothill and San Marcos, will not get a chance to play and beat Los Al this weekend, so it would be very difficult for those teams to be considered 'better' than Los Al, and end up seeded above them for CIF seedings, one would think, specially since Los AL has wins over all three of them

Return to “High School GIRLS”