San Diego Girls 2021-22

Girls High School Competition
WaPoSaD
How are you connected to water polo?: Fan

San Diego Girls 2021-22

Postby WaPoSaD » Wed Jan 19, 2022 4:15 am

One might well ask where the top San Diego teams stack up in the 2021-22 season, and if so, I'd be happy to provide an answer at some length. Sadly, however, I have recently discovered, to my chagrin, that if you draft an expansive post on this message board and then accidentally highlight it and hit the backspace button, there is apparently no "undo" button, so your missive is lost in the ether forever. Such is life.

Rather than expend the misery to recreate the lost post, I thought I'd simply provide a summary of its conclusions; sadly, without the accompanying pithy poetic commentary of the original.

1. Bishop's. Undisputed No. 1 in San Diego, and clear favorite to win the Open Division playoffs. Has beat the other San Diego teams it has played handily and won the Villa Park tournament. For a sense of where it'd stand in the CIF-SS, this season, Bishop's lost to Mater Dei and Orange Lutheran, but beat Los Alamitos, and those three teams (plus Foothill) are tied for No. 3 in the latest CIF-SS poll.

2. La Costa Canyon. Nos. 2 through 4 are close, but I gave LCC the nod based on its one-goal wins against Carlsbad and Grossmont (9-8 and 6-5, respectively) and despite LCC's early-season one-goal loss to Valhalla (8-9).

3. Carlsbad. Lost to LCC 8-9 last week, but beat Coronado and Grossmont by one goal each (7-6 and 9-8, respectively).

4. Coronado. Their 6-7 loss to Carlsbad indicates their relative quality, and comfortable wins against La Jolla (8-4) and Westview (11-3 and 10-5).

5. Grossmont. Lost to LCC and Carlsbad by one goal, but beat Valhalla twice (7-4 and 13-9).

6. Valhalla. The aforementioned two losses to Grossmont put Valhalla at No. 6 despite Valhalla's early-season one-goal victory over LCC, especially since Valhalla played the non-top-ten teams Patrick Henry and Eastlake close (winning 13-11 against the former and beating the latter twice by 10-8 and 12-9).

7. La Jolla. Lost to Coronado 4-8 but beat Westview 12-8, Poway 13-5 and Cathedral Catholic 17-2.

8. Rancho Bernardo. The Team of Mystery. Beat Valhalla 15-3 on December 3 (!) but lost to Westview by one (8-9) and eked out a one-goal win against non-top-ten Clairemont. A tentative No. 8.

9. Helix. Lost to LCC 8-12 and to Grossmont 7-10; beat Westview 8-7. Helix's one-goal win over non-top-ten Fallbrook (9-8) gives one pause.

10. Westview. Tons of games against San Diego top ten teams. Lost to: Carlsbad 8-14, Coronado three times (3-11, 5-10 and 4-13), Grossmont 2-7, La Jolla 8-12, and Helix 7-8. Beat Rancho Bernardo 9-8 and Cathedral Catholic 9-5.

I would add some commentary about traditional San Diego water polo powerhouse Cathedral Catholic, which is not in the top ten, but it's after midnight, and no need to pile on these hardworking girls in any event.

CIF playoffs begin on February 8. Go teams.

badboy
How are you connected to water polo?: parent

Re: San Diego Girls 2021-22

Postby badboy » Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:57 pm

Seems fair.

A more interesting look would be "a top 10 if Bishop's didn't take all the shores girls away from public schools" lol.

Gobama
How are you connected to water polo?: Yes

Postby Gobama » Thu Jan 20, 2022 1:52 pm

badboy wrote:Seems fair.

A more interesting look would be "a top 10 if Bishop's didn't take all the shores girls away from public schools" lol.

I mean...fair enough but its the way things go in boys polo and in OC. Private schools doing their soft and hard recruiting thing isnt new. Carlsbad in girls and Vista in boys have been able to break the mold once each but its tough slogging for public schools.

badboy

Postby badboy » Sat Jan 22, 2022 1:12 pm

The CCHS fall probably deserves some discussion. When you can’t get the best players at your school to play, there must be something going on.

badboy

Postby badboy » Sun Jan 23, 2022 1:46 pm

WaPoSaD wrote:One might well ask where the top San Diego teams stack up in the 2021-22 season, and if so, I'd be happy to provide an answer at some length. Sadly, however, I have recently discovered, to my chagrin, that if you draft an expansive post on this message board and then accidentally highlight it and hit the backspace button, there is apparently no "undo" button, so your missive is lost in the ether forever. Such is life.

Rather than expend the misery to recreate the lost post, I thought I'd simply provide a summary of its conclusions; sadly, without the accompanying pithy poetic commentary of the original.

1. Bishop's. Undisputed No. 1 in San Diego, and clear favorite to win the Open Division playoffs. Has beat the other San Diego teams it has played handily and won the Villa Park tournament. For a sense of where it'd stand in the CIF-SS, this season, Bishop's lost to Mater Dei and Orange Lutheran, but beat Los Alamitos, and those three teams (plus Foothill) are tied for No. 3 in the latest CIF-SS poll.

2. La Costa Canyon. Nos. 2 through 4 are close, but I gave LCC the nod based on its one-goal wins against Carlsbad and Grossmont (9-8 and 6-5, respectively) and despite LCC's early-season one-goal loss to Valhalla (8-9).

3. Carlsbad. Lost to LCC 8-9 last week, but beat Coronado and Grossmont by one goal each (7-6 and 9-8, respectively).

4. Coronado. Their 6-7 loss to Carlsbad indicates their relative quality, and comfortable wins against La Jolla (8-4) and Westview (11-3 and 10-5).

5. Grossmont. Lost to LCC and Carlsbad by one goal, but beat Valhalla twice (7-4 and 13-9).

6. Valhalla. The aforementioned two losses to Grossmont put Valhalla at No. 6 despite Valhalla's early-season one-goal victory over LCC, especially since Valhalla played the non-top-ten teams Patrick Henry and Eastlake close (winning 13-11 against the former and beating the latter twice by 10-8 and 12-9).

7. La Jolla. Lost to Coronado 4-8 but beat Westview 12-8, Poway 13-5 and Cathedral Catholic 17-2.

8. Rancho Bernardo. The Team of Mystery. Beat Valhalla 15-3 on December 3 (!) but lost to Westview by one (8-9) and eked out a one-goal win against non-top-ten Clairemont. A tentative No. 8.

9. Helix. Lost to LCC 8-12 and to Grossmont 7-10; beat Westview 8-7. Helix's one-goal win over non-top-ten Fallbrook (9-8) gives one pause.

10. Westview. Tons of games against San Diego top ten teams. Lost to: Carlsbad 8-14, Coronado three times (3-11, 5-10 and 4-13), Grossmont 2-7, La Jolla 8-12, and Helix 7-8. Beat Rancho Bernardo 9-8 and Cathedral Catholic 9-5.

I would add some commentary about traditional San Diego water polo powerhouse Cathedral Catholic, which is not in the top ten, but it's after midnight, and no need to pile on these hardworking girls in any event.

CIF playoffs begin on February 8. Go teams.

After the SD Beaches tournament you probably want to move Clairemont into the top 10. Westview and Helix were uninspiring, Grossmont lost early but rebounded and La Jolla looked good until they didn’t. More than anything though, I’m wondering what happened to Carlsbad when they lost to LCC? They were hands down the class of the tournament.

SwimCoach
How are you connected to water polo?: Fan, Instructor, Lifelong Swimmer

Postby SwimCoach » Sat Jan 29, 2022 2:59 pm

Tough weekend for the two San Diego schools on OC this weekend. Was thinking that Bishop’s might have an upset or two in them.

badboy

Postby badboy » Mon Jan 31, 2022 2:26 pm

SwimCoach wrote:Tough weekend for the two San Diego schools on OC this weekend. Was thinking that Bishop’s might have an upset or two in them.

I have to say I'm a bit disappointed in Bishop's this year. They have a stacked roster, but I guess one or two weaknesses is all it takes against the top OC teams. They're still insanely good, but not quite good enough.

WaPoSaD

Postby WaPoSaD » Sat Feb 05, 2022 10:49 pm

The CIF Playoff brackets are out. Here's the rundown on the Open Division, the opening games of which are on Thursday (February 10) :
No. 1 Bishop's vs. No. 8 Valhalla. Valhalla gets the dubious honor of the No. 8 seed in Open as opposed to the No. 1 seed in D1. Congratulations, but barring a global catastrophe, it's one-and-done for Valhalla.
No. 4 La Jolla vs. No. 5 Carlsbad. There was an era in which these two perennial powerhouses would meet in the semis (or even finals), but this is not such a year, so it's the quarterfinals instead. The teams played each other in their last regular season game and La Jolla won 14-1. Expect a closer game in the playoffs, but the same outcome.
No. 3 Grossmont vs. No. 6 Helix. This should be the most exciting game of not only the quarterfinals, but of the entire playoffs, IMHO. These teams played three times in the regular season. Grossmont won the first match (in early January) 10-7, but the rematches -- both of which were in the past week -- resulted in a split, with the score in both games 9-8. This will not be your typical 3/6 contest, and it's anyone's game.
No. 2 La Costa Canyon vs. No. 7 Rancho Bernardo. To a degree, LCC has looked dominant this year: they've only lost two games all season, both of which were by a single goal. But initial impressions are sometimes deceiving. La Costa Canyon has only played San Diego teams, hasn't played any of the traditional "Big 4" SD squads, and has a large number of one- and two-goal wins over non-open SD opponents. LCC will definitely be the favorite over RB, but the outcome -- and La Costa Canyon's ultimate performance in the playoffs -- is far from certain.

Semis and Finals The likely semifinal between LCC and the Grossmont/Helix winner should be another very good game. LCC beat Grossmont by 1 (6-5) in December, but that was long ago. And while La Costa Canyon beat Helix somewhat handily (12-8) in mid-December, Helix eked out the win 9-8 in last week's rematch. So it's anyone's game on the bottom half of the bracket. Meanwhile, in the top half, Bishop's should win easily, having beaten LJ by 11 and 16 goals in their two regular season games (and Carlsbad by 17, 13 and 18 goals in their games). Expect the same basic result by Bishop's in the finals, regardless of which team ends up there. That said, even just getting to the finals is a great accomplishment for any team, as is making the Open Division playoffs. Congratulations all.

edklssmn
How are you connected to water polo?: fan

Postby edklssmn » Mon Feb 07, 2022 5:20 pm

WaPoSaD wrote:No. 1 Bishop's vs. No. 8 Valhalla. Valhalla gets the dubious honor of the No. 8 seed in Open as opposed to the No. 1 seed in D1. Congratulations, but barring a global catastrophe, it's one-and-done for Valhalla.

Your comments about Valhalla getting the “honor” of being 1st round fodder for Bishop’s rather than a contender for a D1 CIF Championship make me wonder why we have an Open Division. It seems like it would make more sense to simply place teams in divisions at the beginning of the season, then let them play for championships. At least that way, everyone knows who they will be competing with for CIF and there are no situations at the end of the year where a team finds itself in a position of being better off losing a late season game to then be high ranked D1 team and making a run in the playoffs rather than winning and becoming a low ranked Open division team like Valhalla and likely being ousted in the first round (not saying this happened with Valhalla or any one else this year, but the Open division concept certainly creates the incentive to intentionally lose in certain situations).

I understand the purpose of the Open Division is so that the Top 8 teams compete for the “best of the best” title each year regardless of league, school size or other factors. Since there is such an imbalance in SD girls water polo between the top 3 or 4 teams and everyone else, however, it seems as though this concept doesn’t work.

badboy

Postby badboy » Wed Feb 16, 2022 8:46 pm

edklssmn wrote:
WaPoSaD wrote:No. 1 Bishop's vs. No. 8 Valhalla. Valhalla gets the dubious honor of the No. 8 seed in Open as opposed to the No. 1 seed in D1. Congratulations, but barring a global catastrophe, it's one-and-done for Valhalla.

Your comments about Valhalla getting the “honor” of being 1st round fodder for Bishop’s rather than a contender for a D1 CIF Championship make me wonder why we have an Open Division. It seems like it would make more sense to simply place teams in divisions at the beginning of the season, then let them play for championships. At least that way, everyone knows who they will be competing with for CIF and there are no situations at the end of the year where a team finds itself in a position of being better off losing a late season game to then be high ranked D1 team and making a run in the playoffs rather than winning and becoming a low ranked Open division team like Valhalla and likely being ousted in the first round (not saying this happened with Valhalla or any one else this year, but the Open division concept certainly creates the incentive to intentionally lose in certain situations).

I understand the purpose of the Open Division is so that the Top 8 teams compete for the “best of the best” title each year regardless of league, school size or other factors. Since there is such an imbalance in SD girls water polo between the top 3 or 4 teams and everyone else, however, it seems as though this concept doesn’t work.

I can see arguments on both sides. Yeah, it's fun to win, but there's something cool about saying you made the Open Division.

This year is a bit of an extreme since Bishop's is SO much better than everyone else. Grossmont has earned their finals berth (and had a great year overall, so cap's off to them!), but... If I had been asked to do the seedings, I would have put La Jolla at 2, LCC at 3, Carlsbad at 4, Grossmont at 5, Coronado at 6, Helix at 7 and Clairemont at 8. Carlsbad over La Jolla and Grossmont over LCC doesn't make me look all that good at seeding, however lol.

How Coronado was placed in Division I is a bit of a mystery. Perhaps they begged their way into to secure a title for their new coach?

WaPoSaD

Postby WaPoSaD » Fri Feb 18, 2022 6:16 pm

The finals are tomorrow; congratulations to all the girls on an outstanding season, in every division.

Open Bishop's will beat Grossmont handily, but yes, hat's off to Grossmont for getting there (and for justifying their No. 3 seed). LCC was a surprise during the season and a question mark going in to the playoffs and, in the end, underperformed, barely beating Rancho Bernardo (11-10) in the quarterfinals and getting doubled up (3-7) by Grossmont in the semis. The Carlsbad/La Jolla quarterfinal game was a thriller.

D1 It's No. 1 seed Clairemont vs. No. 2 seed Coronado in the finals, and I'd give Coronado the edge in this one. Yes, both Clairemont and 'Nado could potentially have been selected for a low seed in Open, but that's par for the course -- pretty much every year, the finalists in D1 are could've-should've-would've for Open. Clairemont barely survived No. 5 El Camino in the semis (9-8), and kudos to El Camino for a great run in the playoffs despite the loss. Cathedral's loss to Patrick Henry in the first round game of D1 (5-11) is definitely a low for this once- (and perhaps future?) storied San Diego girls program; let's hope they can turn things around going forward.

D2 I've been impressed in recent years how well San Diego's automatic "power ranking" system has worked for seeding the D1/2/3 playoffs, and this year is no exception, with yet another Nos. 1 & 2 seed meeting in the finals in D2. I'll go with No. 1 Granite Hills getting the win over No. 2 Santa Fe Christian in the finals, but honestly, it could be anyone's game. Granite barely edged a surging Vista in the quarterfinals (8-7), but at the same time, SFC almost lost to Eastlake in the semis (9-8). Look for the stands at Coggan to be packed with fans from both North County (SFC) and East County (GH) for this one.

D3 Francis Parker was the No. 2 seed, but has struggled in the playoffs, with one-goal victories against Mt. Carmel in the quarterfinals (6-5) and San Marcos (5-4) in the semis. Still, they're in the finals, which is where they want to be, and at this point, it's a one-game tournament. Nonetheless, the smart money is on No. 1 seed Bonita Vista, which won its earlier playoff games by 20 and 10 goals, respectively. (Notice yet another 1/2 seed final.)

Don't forget to bring a coat to those games in La Jolla tomorrow; it'll be chilly (for San Diego, anyway). Chilly but raucous.

H2Opolo10
How are you connected to water polo?: Player, coach, ref, fan

Postby H2Opolo10 » Sat Feb 19, 2022 2:14 pm

WaPoSaD wrote:The finals are tomorrow; congratulations to all the girls on an outstanding season, in every division.

Open Bishop's will beat Grossmont handily, but yes, hat's off to Grossmont for getting there (and for justifying their No. 3 seed). LCC was a surprise during the season and a question mark going in to the playoffs and, in the end, underperformed, barely beating Rancho Bernardo (11-10) in the quarterfinals and getting doubled up (3-7) by Grossmont in the semis. The Carlsbad/La Jolla quarterfinal game was a thriller.

D1 It's No. 1 seed Clairemont vs. No. 2 seed Coronado in the finals, and I'd give Coronado the edge in this one. Yes, both Clairemont and 'Nado could potentially have been selected for a low seed in Open, but that's par for the course -- pretty much every year, the finalists in D1 are could've-should've-would've for Open. Clairemont barely survived No. 5 El Camino in the semis (9-8), and kudos to El Camino for a great run in the playoffs despite the loss. Cathedral's loss to Patrick Henry in the first round game of D1 (5-11) is definitely a low for this once- (and perhaps future?) storied San Diego girls program; let's hope they can turn things around going forward.

D2 I've been impressed in recent years how well San Diego's automatic "power ranking" system has worked for seeding the D1/2/3 playoffs, and this year is no exception, with yet another Nos. 1 & 2 seed meeting in the finals in D2. I'll go with No. 1 Granite Hills getting the win over No. 2 Santa Fe Christian in the finals, but honestly, it could be anyone's game. Granite barely edged a surging Vista in the quarterfinals (8-7), but at the same time, SFC almost lost to Eastlake in the semis (9-8). Look for the stands at Coggan to be packed with fans from both North County (SFC) and East County (GH) for this one.

D3 Francis Parker was the No. 2 seed, but has struggled in the playoffs, with one-goal victories against Mt. Carmel in the quarterfinals (6-5) and San Marcos (5-4) in the semis. Still, they're in the finals, which is where they want to be, and at this point, it's a one-game tournament. Nonetheless, the smart money is on No. 1 seed Bonita Vista, which won its earlier playoff games by 20 and 10 goals, respectively. (Notice yet another 1/2 seed final.)

Don't forget to bring a coat to those games in La Jolla tomorrow; it'll be chilly (for San Diego, anyway). Chilly but raucous.

I’m gonna go with division 2 as the most exciting game of the day. Granite’s goalie played great in the semi’s while Santa Fe Christian’s field players shot great in their semi game. Should be a good match up. I think it’ll be a one goal game either way.

D3 has potential to be a great game. Francis Parker is determined and well-coached. Bonita Vista has the significant advantage in goal and a field player who will likely be the fastest girl in the game and is solid on offense and defense. I think a one goal game either way could be in store here, too. We’ll see!

Good luck to all the teams and congrats on making it to championship Saturday!

LimeyPoloDad
How are you connected to water polo?: Former player & coach, now a polo dad

Postby LimeyPoloDad » Sun Feb 20, 2022 5:27 pm

Does anyone know the score from the Bishop’s-Grossmont game?

SwimCoach
How are you connected to water polo?: Fan, Instructor, Lifelong Swimmer

Postby SwimCoach » Sun Feb 20, 2022 6:08 pm

LimeyPoloDad wrote:Does anyone know the score from the Bishop’s-Grossmont game?

Bishop’s won 18-1

goaliegirl
How are you connected to water polo?: fan

Postby goaliegirl » Mon Feb 21, 2022 6:14 pm

Interesting season all the way around and nice to see a somewhat normal schedule back in place. Hats off to LCC making it to the second seed in open division considering they were in D3 2 years ago and D2 last year. That's a lot of progression for a team with only one active club player. Let's see what the So Cal championships bring and perhaps LCC can make up for that last performance and make a run for the D2 title. Also, BIG Kudos to head coach and former Stanford WP standout Sean Joy for doing an amazing job with these girls and their meteoric rise through the divisions. They have learned a lot about water polo, themselves and life lessons. Thanks Coach Sean!

It seems like Bishop's would only need one or two pieces to add to the squad and they would really give the OC contingency a run for their money. With any luck there could be an upset in the making if they could make it past Newport Harbor in the semis. I know this would be a big ask but never count out the hearts of champion players and coaches....and yes I do believe in Miracles.

Return to “High School GIRLS”