Summer High School Tournament

Girls High School Competition
jeff
How are you connected to water polo?: I am a fan.

Summer High School Tournament

Postby jeff » Tue May 17, 2022 1:56 pm

I understand Newport is organizing a summer tournament that will feature eight of the best high school teams in the country. Newport, San Marcos, Bishops, Laguna, Foothill, Los Alamitos, CDM, and Miramonte are among the teams that might participate in the tournament. In the continued absence of an actual CIF state championship tournament, we will never know how the top Northern California team would fare against the top teams from the Southern and San Diego Sections in a season-ending tournament. I suspect Miramonte would fare pretty well in a 2022-23 CIF state tournament. The Newport tournament will test my theory.

polo45
How are you connected to water polo?: Coach

Re: Summer High School Tournament

Postby polo45 » Tue May 17, 2022 2:12 pm

It will be a great event but not sure a true test as many of the teams will be missing players that weekend. Traditionally the HS State Championship tournament weekend is always tough to use as a gauge for the upcoming season. Teams are always missing players to national team events and senior nationals (formerly US Opens) which is the same weekend. This event falls on that same weekend. Teams will be missing players for senior nationals and Junior Pan American games which be going on at the same.

jeff
How are you connected to water polo?: I am a fan.

Postby jeff » Tue May 17, 2022 3:29 pm

You're right. The Newport tournament isn't a true substitute for an actual CIF state tournament but it's still a worthwhile endeavor. Unlike the Villa Park summer high school tournament, we aren't likely to see many lopsided games at the Newport tournament. The boys' Elite 8 summer tournament has generally provided us with a pretty good idea of the relative strengths of the top teams. I suspect the Newport tournament will do the same for the top girls' teams, even if some of the top players choose not to participate in the tournament.

LimeyPoloDad
How are you connected to water polo?: Former player & coach, now a polo dad

Postby LimeyPoloDad » Tue May 17, 2022 3:33 pm

There is also the Futures Super Final the week before. Last year in Salt Lake, many of the top HS teams were playing their rising seniors, juniors and sophomores.

LimeyPoloDad
How are you connected to water polo?: Former player & coach, now a polo dad

Postby LimeyPoloDad » Tue May 17, 2022 3:39 pm

polo45 wrote: Teams will be missing players for senior nationals and Junior Pan American games which be going on at the same.

What are the dates for the junior Pan American games? (I couldn’t find anything on the Pan Ams website.)

ethandamato
How are you connected to water polo?: Club & HS Coach

Postby ethandamato » Fri May 20, 2022 2:41 pm

July 9-17

Return to “High School GIRLS”