New Club: Raleigh/Durham North Carolina

Idea exchange for starting up a club
PackPolo

New Club: Raleigh/Durham North Carolina

Postby PackPolo » Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:05 pm

Hi,

We are currently in the process of trying to start a open club team in the Triangle Area of North Carolina (Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill). We have been playing on and off weekly at the Triangle Aquatic Center in Cary for about a year now. This spring we are trying to get a second recruiting push going. So far we do have a small core of players (ex-collegiate club and varsity) but are also heavily supported by the local area Collegiate Club players looking for extra practice/playing time (NC State, UNC and Duke). It looks like we will be playing every Wednesday night in March and April from 7:30-9 PM with a small drop in fee. Simply put, we need more players. If you live in this area and are interested OR if you know anyone in this area that you think would be interested please don't hesitate to PM me.

Thanks!

my69442w30

Re: New Club: Raleigh/Durham North Carolina

Postby my69442w30 » Thu Feb 12, 2009 2:34 am

Good Luck!

Growth in the sport is great.

Torchbearer

Postby Torchbearer » Fri Feb 13, 2009 8:16 am

The Raleigh YMCA had boys and girls water polo teams in the 1970s that were quite good. They were coached by Eric Schwall. Our Asheville Y teams traveled to Raleigh and played
the Raleigh Y teams in the Ravenscroft School pool. I still have some of the newspaper articles that reported on the results. While y'all in Raleigh are trying to revive your polo program, the Asheville Y is planning to resuscitate its polo program this spring after a lapse of about 10 years. As they say, everything that goes around, comes around. In the 1970s,
we also had YMCA teams in Charlotte, Greensboro, Greenville, High Point, Spartanburg, Shelby, etc. Top teams from as far away as Florida, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Iowa, Illinois, Texas, California, and Canada (Ontario, Quebec) came to the Carolinas to play. Those were good days. So we wish you luck with your efforts in Raleigh this year. That's a terrific new facility you have at the Triangle Aquatic Center.

niteswimmer217
How are you connected to water polo?: Player for 9 years, High school water polo coach for 2.

Postby niteswimmer217 » Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:49 am

Hi! I am from the Fayetteville, NC and I am trying to start a club team as well. I am originally from South Florida and water polo was huge there, so when I moved here and realized there were no teams that some should get started. I hope you club team in Raleigh goes well, I would like to come by and check out one of your practices. I currently work for the Y over here so were getting in the process of starting a new program. Good luck to you!

Torchbearer

Postby Torchbearer » Thu Aug 13, 2009 4:08 pm

Hello, nite. Welcome to North Carolina, and good luck with your plans to start water polo at the Fayetteville YMCA. We are finalizing our plans to revive our polo program here at the Asheville YMCA in Sept. Unlike our program of the past, when we played (and won) nationally and internationally in the 1970s and 1980s, this will be a low-key once- or twice-weekly rec program in our small downtown pool, five-per-side, for fun, fitness, and fellowship. If you will email me at [email protected], I'll put you on my mailing list for more info and will send you a copy of my recent book which is entitled "Water Polo The Y's Way." Best wishes.

cwanthony
How are you connected to water polo?: player

Postby cwanthony » Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:56 pm

Good luck in the Triangle. We in the Triad have gotten off the ground!

We're now gathering in Winston at the YWCA. We have had a great start and gather Tuesdays, 7-8:30 pm, at YWCA (1300 S Main St, Winston). $5 admission for Non-members. Contact Heather West (336)354-1590,x307 or [email protected] for more info

Co-ed, ages High School and up, no experience necessary.
Fun and welcoming group, fantastic workout
2 minutes from I-40. Within 20 minutes of Greensboro, High Point, and Most of the NC Triad

Torchbearer

Postby Torchbearer » Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:05 am

The Asheville YMCA has kicked-off its new and revived polo program. Due to the extreme crowdedness of the YMCA's two-pool complex at its downtown site, water polo has been assigned the worst possible time: Saturdays 5:00-6:30 p.m. But we have new homemade goals, new balls, and we're in the process of ordering new caps. Only 6 participants -- 3 male, 3 female --showed up for our initial practice, but we have publicity scheduled in the local newspaper, and we're aiming at having 20 players by the end of October. Unlike our programs of the 1970s and 1980s, when we fielded national championship teams, this will be strictly a recreational activity in which we play amongst ourselves at the YMCA "for fun, fitness, and fellowship."

Torchbearer

Postby Torchbearer » Sun Nov 22, 2009 5:13 pm

After a lapse of eight years, we've revived water polo here in Asheville, in western NC, as a recreational activity at the downtown YMCA's old four-lane, 25-yard, deep-shallow pool. We've been playing on Saturday evenings, the worst possible time for scheduling any new YMCA activity, since mid-Sept. It's been somewhat s-l-o-w going, but during this period, we've had forty participants, half teens and half adults, equally divided genderwise. We have a core group of about ten who attend regularly. The others have come and gone. This past Saturday, we had our first real game, a scrimmage amongst ourselves, playing five-per-side, with the "white caps" coming from behind to edge the "blue caps," 9-to-8. Those who're older may recall that Asheville had national championship teams in both boys and girls competition in the 1970s and fielded a strong Masters team in the '80s, and then we continued playing locally in the '90s. A few of these same players from the past, now in their 50s, are back in the Y pool again. We've also had half-a-dozen fast high schoolers participating. With new goals, balls, and caps, we have made a good start at reviving the sport here in Asheville. We will not be playing during the month of December but plan to get going again in 2010, hopefully with a better time slot in the Y pool. Still and all, it will remain strictly a once-weekly recreational activity here. We'd like to thank "Coach Dave" Maynard and others at Water Polo Planet and Gary Westwell at TruWest and Paul Tiger from northern Calif. for providing us with excellent equipment at very affordable prices. While what we're doing is a long way from the Junior Olympics, which our Asheville girls won in 1972, and the Speedo Cup, and the NCAA Championships, it's a good example of what ANY community can do to promote water polo. A Happy Thanksgiving to everybody. P.S. My 18-year-old granddaughter, who was a strong swimmer in her younger days before becoming a black belt in taekwondo, returned to the Y pool for the water polo and scored two goals for the winning "white" team this past Saturday. So who's the proud grandpa?

Keeper01

Postby Keeper01 » Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:22 pm

Not sure if anyone would be interested up in NC, but the Southeast zone is having zone championships this year in Orlando, FL 02/19/09- 02/21/09 and are looking to expand to as many teams in the southeast outside of FL as possible. I believe there is some interest from teams in GA and TN. If you know of any teams in North Carolina that would want to enter email Adam Gaffey <[email protected]> for info. I think it would be great if we could teams from all of the states in the SE zone eventually. Please pass this along to anyone in the SE that would be interested.

oldschool
How are you connected to water polo?: Coach, player

Postby oldschool » Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:28 am

Curious if any of these took off? Still going? Growing? Traveling?

alberstein

Postby alberstein » Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:54 pm

Don't know if they are still going at it regularly, but there has been a master's team in Charlotte for many years, the Charlotte Sharks. They used to practice on Wednesday evenings at the Mecklenburg Aquatic Center in downtown Charlotte.

AtlantaWaterPolo
How are you connected to water polo?: Player and Coach. Played in California. Coach in Georgia.

Postby AtlantaWaterPolo » Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:02 pm

Triangle WPC has been doing well from what I can tell - https://www.facebook.com/groups/trianglewpc

We see both Raleigh and Charlotte at our annual Powerbar Cup every August here in Atlanta and they're both great teams. I am hopeful that the trend will continue in this area. We have a successful high school league in Atlanta and I hope it ends up benefiting not only colleges in the Southeast but also the masters programs.

Return to “Starting a Program”