What type of business set-up is best suited for WPC?

Idea exchange for starting up a club
kaminooto
How are you connected to water polo?: Coach, Referee in Training

What type of business set-up is best suited for WPC?

Postby kaminooto » Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:23 am

Just a question on how most clubs are set up. Do you find that sole-propietor type clubs, limited liability corporations, or non-profit would be the best fit for a grassroots type club? The club team I took over was based in a non-profit setting but I'm branching out on my own in 2010. Any suggestions/help from coaches who have gone about creating age group programs would be appreciated.

cm221975
How are you connected to water polo?: Referee, Coach, Parent, ex-Player, Fanatico

Re: What type of business set-up is best suited for WPC?

Postby cm221975 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:50 pm

Hi there, i'm about to start our own club and would be interested in hearing any suggestions or ideas you might be willing to share.

thanks,
Carlos

Torchbearer

Postby Torchbearer » Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:49 am

The YMCA here is restarting its youth football program after a hiatus of about 20 years, during which it concentrated on soccer as an autumn sport. The Y's plan for youth football may provide some good insights into how youth water polo programs can be created. First, the Y is publicizing and promoting the sport NOW, in June, at least two months prior to the start of the football season. There's a big article in today's Asheville newspaper. Second, the Y has obtained two major corporate sponsors who're donating $5,000 each to cover basic equipment costs. Third, the Y will be signing up 240 kids (boys mostly, I assume) to play on 12 teams. That's 20 per team. Fourth, there will be a participation fee of $160 per youth, plus a $15 seasonal YMCA membership fee, which will enroll each youngster in the YMCA's million-dollar liability insurance policy. Not counting the corporate sponsors, this totals over $40,000 in income to the Y. Fifth, this enables the YMCA to provide scholarships to needy youngsters so they can play, always an important part of Y programming (and great PR). Sixth, there will be good training for the volunteer coaches before the start of the autumn football season. It's anticipated that two coaches will be needed for each of the 12 teams. There will also be good training for the officials. The volunteer coaches and officials will be furnished with free shirts. Seventh, proper facilities will be prepared...in this case, it's the three outdoor playing fields owned and operated by our local Y branches. Thus there will be no extra charges for facilities. Eighth, prior to the start of the season, there will be two or three sessions with the parents, at which the Y's ongoing emphasis on good sportsmanship will be taught. Ninth, after several weeks of practicing in August/Sept, the youth teams will engage in intramural-type league play in Sept/Oct/Nov. Tenth, at the end of the autumn season, there will be at least one awards banquet with the youngsters, the coaches, and the officials being honored. It's possible (highly probable) that an all-star team will be chosen to compete in a game against a similar youth league team from a nearby YMCA. This happens frequently. This is the type of programming that most Ys are doing nowadays when it comes to youth sports. Perhaps the one exception is competitive swimming, which remains popular enough to stand alone, with 600 Ys fielding teams, most of them averaging over 100 girls and boys per team, with each one paying a participation fee of about $75 per month, and culminating in the annual national swimming championships at the Hall of Fame pool in Fort Lauderdale. I don't know if this info helps or not, but I share it for what it's worth. I guess that the bottom line, as I stated on another WPP thread, is that whatever the sport may be nowadays, it takes (1) a Lot of participating children, (2) substantial financing to cover ALL costs, (3) adequate facilities, and (4) really, Really, REALLY good adult leadership.

truth

Postby truth » Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:02 pm

done

ezeffrin
How are you connected to water polo?: Coach

Postby ezeffrin » Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:12 pm

That's it, no one else has information for us on this issue. I am strugling with this as well, I would think more club starters would have trouble with this in the past. Please offer us some good advice.

Negative Nancy
How are you connected to water polo?: fan

Postby Negative Nancy » Thu Nov 03, 2011 3:44 pm

501c3 non profit--- margins are razor thin, why add taxes to your expenses?

Missy

Postby Missy » Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:15 pm

Try to find a pool that will cooperate with you, ask them to pay you as an employee or contractor by the hour or as a set percent for a fixed period of time. Basically you need to be willing to work for practically nothing but you want to be covered by the pool's insurance company. If you have no equipment, see if the pool will work with you to help by purchasing cages. After that period of time is over, if the program looks like it will go, then you can consider if it makes sense to separate the club out as a separate entity (a non profit), do a fund raiser and pay the pool back for any equipment.

There are some really good free downloads on this website to help you with your initial marketing efforts.

Return to “Starting a Program”