World U20 Championships

USA Water Polo's Mens National Teams
2plyBathingSuit
How are you connected to water polo?: I personally played in High School and College.
Love the sport.

Re: World U20 Championships

Postby 2plyBathingSuit » Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:18 am

UberPolo wrote:
2plyBathingSuit wrote:
There is nothing funny about it. You've said nothing new that virtually everyone here on WPP already knows. I'll summarize for you, 7th place is our ceiling. There, I just said it.

Three was a lot of talk about how only 3 or 4 players on this U20 team were the first choice and that Stanford and UCLA did not allow their U20 selected kids to compete.
Do you think we would still have only achieved 7th if the original selection was allowed to go?
Keep in mind that these U20 kids would have been the same ones that beat Serbia and Croatia to win gold at the Darko Cucic tournament in 2016. Same kids on both sides are now U20.

Okay, for U20, sending "our best"...maybe 6th is our ceiling. 20 and over, it's back to 7th...at best.

OCNative
How are you connected to water polo?: former player, fan

Re: World U20 Championships

Postby OCNative » Tue Sep 28, 2021 2:16 pm

UberPolo wrote:
2plyBathingSuit wrote:
There is nothing funny about it. You've said nothing new that virtually everyone here on WPP already knows. I'll summarize for you, 7th place is our ceiling. There, I just said it.

Three was a lot of talk about how only 3 or 4 players on this U20 team were the first choice and that Stanford and UCLA did not allow their U20 selected kids to compete.
Do you think we would still have only achieved 7th if the original selection was allowed to go?
Keep in mind that these U20 kids would have been the same ones that beat Serbia and Croatia to win gold at the Darko Cucic tournament in 2016. Same kids on both sides are now U20.

Yes, I think the team would still have achieved 7th and maybe less. Just because some kids on the Cadet national team did well 4 years ago means nothing today. I heard that wasn't a particularly high level tournament to begin with and the competition was nothing like it was at the Junior Worlds. So, it is silly to even compare. And who is to say who was first or second choice- unless you were in the room when decisions were being made- it is all conjecture. Just look at who is actually playing in college this year and actually making a difference, and very few of the names from that team four years ago pop up. In fact, I am hearing much more about the boys who did go to Worlds. Many of those kids are currently making a real impact on their respective teams. USA waterpolo was right to get new players in the pipeline and maybe two schools not allowing several players to attend worked out just fine. What probably would have actually made a difference, would have been forming the team earlier to get additional time to practice together, since many of the European teams had been training together for months.

Return to “US Mens National Water Polo Team”