Cuneo (ITA) Tournament

USA Water Polo's Mens National Teams
Sfvalleypolo
How are you connected to water polo?: D1 player, NCAA, HS/Club Coach, Fan

Cuneo (ITA) Tournament

Postby Sfvalleypolo » Fri Jan 03, 2020 5:44 pm

Our MNT kicked off Day 1 of a 4-nation tournament (USA, Hungary, Italy, & Greece) with a 10-15 loss against Hungary. The Hungarian water polo site vlv.hu put together a nice goal-by-goal recap of the game: http://vlv.hu/news/12435/usa-magyarorsz ... kozvetites

There's also streaming with replay available, watch the game here (while you can): https://www.federnuoto.it/live/

Scoring:
USA: Bowen 3, Daube 3, Hooper, Cupido, Ramirez, Irving
HUN: Varga Dénes 4, Manhercz K. 4, Zalánki 3, Sedlmayer 2, Mezei, Erdélyi

2plyBathingSuit
How are you connected to water polo?: I personally played in High School and College.
Love the sport.

Re: Cuneo (ITA) Tournament

Postby 2plyBathingSuit » Sat Jan 04, 2020 5:15 pm

Anybody watch Italy vs USA? I did. Although we made it interesting in the 4th...Italy was always one to two steps ahead...almost as if they were toying with us. And when we try to play "tough guy"...the other guys always manage to be "tougher". The center game was nonexistent for both teams in this particular game. When our opponents shut-down our center(s), we virtually have zero chance. The better countries know this.

mkeh20
How are you connected to water polo?: former college club player, now fan

Postby mkeh20 » Sun Jan 05, 2020 12:06 am

I tuned in right before Hooper's brutality. Italy's passing on the 6-5 was so clean. They moved the ball quickly and didn't seem to use much time pumping/faking. US showed character coming back after playing down a player and giving up 3 goals. I wish there was a translation of the player and coach post game interviews.

wpolo93
How are you connected to water polo?: fan

Postby wpolo93 » Sun Jan 05, 2020 12:44 pm

USA beat Greece 14:13 in the last day of the Four Nations Cup. USA led by 4 after the third quarter, Greece won the last quarter 5:2.

2plyBathingSuit
How are you connected to water polo?: I personally played in High School and College.
Love the sport.

Postby 2plyBathingSuit » Sun Jan 05, 2020 3:41 pm

wpolo93 wrote:USA beat Greece 14:13 in the last day of the Four Nations Cup. USA led by 4 after the third quarter, Greece won the last quarter 5:2.

Hungary vs Italy- essentially tied for 1/2 . Greece vs USA- essentially 3/4. Hungary vs Italy was a great game,...it had the feeling of a title match. Greece vs USA was not a great game for either team and had the excitement of of 3/4th place game. For some reason Greece was "off" with their shots for two and half periods. At one point USA was ahead by "SIX" in the third...then, Greece decided to shift into another gear for the remaining period holding the USA to just two goals for the final period and a half. Greece almost came back and tied it at the end. USA doesn't have a second gear. Although I believe USA deserved this particular win because of their strong play in the first half, their ability to shift into another gear and put teams away is simply not there. Unfortunately, this win means nothing for the USA...other than it was good experience for them.

2plyBathingSuit
Love the sport.

Postby 2plyBathingSuit » Sun Jan 05, 2020 5:38 pm

Just another observation...did anyone else notice one particular Greek player during the pre-game line-up? The guy was huge!! He literally towered over the rest of his team...and was at least "a head" taller than our tallest player (who is at least 6' 8"). My guess is he was 7' 0" tall. I couldn't catch his name or cap number...so I don't know if he is one of their better players. But man, he was the biggest water polo player I've ever seen.

ace5096
How are you connected to water polo?: Player, Coach, Fan.

Postby ace5096 » Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:34 pm

Anyone have higher quality video of the Hooper brutality? Watching on FIN replay, it was pretty blatant... not sure what Velotto did, but Hooper kept rubbing his eye. Hooper sucker punched him pretty badly, completely above the water.

ephpolo
How are you connected to water polo?: Ex-player, Ex-coach, referee

Postby ephpolo » Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:32 am

ace5096 wrote:Anyone have higher quality video of the Hooper brutality? Watching on FIN replay, it was pretty blatant... not sure what Velotto did, but Hooper kept rubbing his eye. Hooper sucker punched him pretty badly, completely above the water.

Water polo is a physical sport, but being baited into retaliation fouls that result in misconducts, cards, and brutality calls seems to be a weakness for the US teams since at least the last Olympic cycle. Maybe this reflects their lack of international playing experience, but it seems to me like other teams are able to exploit this to their advantage against the US.

I'm reminded of a quote from Ryan Bailey during one of his Olympic appearance interviews that was something like, "I've never been much of a ball-grabber, but in international tournaments you have to expect that and keep your cool."

2plyBathingSuit
Love the sport.

Postby 2plyBathingSuit » Sat Jan 18, 2020 3:45 pm

The three recent games vs Australia don't amount to much right now...but I do like the way Australia is quietly becoming a fairly consistent "contender". Good to see the Edwards brothers (Lachlan and Blake) still competing.

Australia 13 USA 12
USA 10 Australia 9
Australia 14 USA 8

Return to “US Mens National Water Polo Team”