Toyko Olympics

USA Water Polo's Mens National Teams
JackBurton
How are you connected to water polo?: Gold Standard of USA Water Polo

Re: Toyko Olympics

Postby JackBurton » Wed Aug 04, 2021 1:09 pm

Is "flailing" the diplomatic term for punching a guy in the backcourt? As soon as I saw the play I started to wonder if we'll throw the ball into the stands next?

Rbpolo0414
How are you connected to water polo?: Fan

Postby Rbpolo0414 » Wed Aug 04, 2021 1:17 pm

wpolo93 wrote:All I meant is that I am not sure that Gabe would be a better fit than many other high quality European coaches, regardless which part of the continent they hail from.

I would like Tony to coach. Too bad he is not interested apparently.

Agree on watching hs and college games. Believe me nothing in Serbian water polo tradition forbids it. As for Dejuan- he was not a right choice.

I have no idea if he would be a fit either. Just saying, keep it on the radar.

sbdad
How are you connected to water polo?: parent, fan, player

Postby sbdad » Wed Aug 04, 2021 1:27 pm

JackBurton wrote:Is "flailing" the diplomatic term for punching a guy in the backcourt? As soon as I saw the play I started to wonder if we'll throw the ball into the stands next?

sorry, we may have been up by one like H20 mentioned. same result, my mind went numb after watching that go down.

yes diplomatic I guess. if those are punches, I hope he does not pick up boxing... .. camera was zoomed in right on him... and then his stupid look after. "what did I do". You are on the world stage, what advantage are you trying to create? I am sure the other guy got in some good shots prior but we got caught and it turned the game.
Last edited by sbdad on Wed Aug 04, 2021 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

2plyBathingSuit
How are you connected to water polo?: I personally played in High School and College.
Love the sport.

Postby 2plyBathingSuit » Wed Aug 04, 2021 1:31 pm

Spain, Serbia, Hungary, Greece 1st-4th Bracket.....Croatia, Italy, Montenegro, USA 5th-8th Bracket

1-4 Semi's...Spain vs Serbia, Greece vs Hungary.....5-8 Classification...Croatia vs Montenegro, Italy vs USA

Just my dopey predictions. Also, a reminder that some of what we say here on WPP "does" get to the coaches. I know this to be true. Now, "which" coaches who choose to get this info is still up for debate.

Semi's:
Spain 9, Serbia 8
Greece 11, Hungary 10. Final: Spain vs Greece (Too close to call in an epic battle)

5-8 Bracket:

Croatia 12, Montenegro 8
Italy 11, USA 9. 5th spot: Croatia vs Italy...Croatia 13, Italy 9

Rbpolo0414

Postby Rbpolo0414 » Wed Aug 04, 2021 1:52 pm

2plyBathingSuit wrote:Spain, Serbia, Hungary, Greece 1st-4th Bracket.....Croatia, Italy, Montenegro, USA 5th-8th Bracket

1-4 Semi's...Spain vs Serbia, Greece vs Hungary.....5-8 Classification...Croatia vs Montenegro, Italy vs USA

Just my dopey predictions. Also, a reminder that some of what we say here on WPP "does" get to the coaches. I know this to be true. Now, "which" coaches who choose to get this info is still up for debate.

Semi's:
Spain 9, Serbia 8
Greece 11, Hungary 10. Final: Spain vs Greece (Too close to call in an epic battle)

5-8 Bracket:

Croatia 12, Montenegro 8
Italy 11, USA 9. 5th spot: Croatia vs Italy...Croatia 13, Italy 9

I feel like Serbia has been giving us the rope a dope. I’m going with Serbia for the gold.

wpolo93
How are you connected to water polo?: fan

Postby wpolo93 » Wed Aug 04, 2021 2:56 pm

Serbia vs. Spain is the actual final imho

caliwaterpolo
How are you connected to water polo?: Player

Postby caliwaterpolo » Wed Aug 04, 2021 4:30 pm

Would like to see a Spain- Greece final. Some new blood. Spain hasn’t sniffed the gold medal match since 1996 and Greece has never been there.

wpolo93

Postby wpolo93 » Wed Aug 04, 2021 5:41 pm

Figlioli and Echenique went 0 for 14 combined against Serbia in the QF. Di Fulvio went 1 for 5...

Genidounias went 5 for 10 against Montenegro.
Manhercz went 7 for 8 against Croatia.

The emergence of Manhercz has been huge for Hungary taking pressure from their fantastic lefties and Varga.

ephpolo
How are you connected to water polo?: Ex-player, Ex-coach, referee

Postby ephpolo » Wed Aug 04, 2021 7:38 pm

My brain tells me we likely see Serbia in the final, but my heart wants a Spain-Greece or Spain-Hungary gold medal game. What Serbia does sure works, but it's not much fun to watch most of the time.

wpolo93

Postby wpolo93 » Wed Aug 04, 2021 7:51 pm

Serbia- Hungary or Spain- Hungary will be exciting finals.

Greece... not so much beyond Genidounias and Fountoulis...

ValleyBoy
How are you connected to water polo?: Player

Postby ValleyBoy » Wed Aug 04, 2021 8:06 pm

I really wanted to see Hooper do well, as a signifier that size isn't everything, but it just hasnt been his tournament. I dont think you can "game" things at this level the same way you can in D1, so his explosiveness isnt that useful. (tho him getting to that loose ball yesterday after the missed shot was very impressive).

Im glad Hannes had a game where he played at the level he has been for Olympiakos this season. I really think he is a crucial building block for this team.

Also been impressed with Irvings defense, and think, while not reflected in the stat line, he has been a crucial part of keeping us in games (at least for a while before the wheels fall off lol)

Thought woodhead would have a better tournament based on his form this year but hasnt been his Olympics either.

I would say this team is more fun to watch than the last two olympics.

JackBurton
How are you connected to water polo?: Gold Standard of USA Water Polo

Postby JackBurton » Wed Aug 04, 2021 8:58 pm

I'm sure somebody has the dollar amount but isn't the head coaching job paid something like $200,000 a year?

DinsdalePiranha

Postby DinsdalePiranha » Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:40 pm

I was impressed with how well they did against Spain. To win this game, they would need as close to a perfect game as possible. Goal play was good enough, offense was good enough ( man up excluded, with #7 on the team, they should have been working on man up nonstop) defense was good enough, what they couldn’t afford was unforced errors, they had 2

#10 clearly swimming over they Spanish player in transition, instead of a potential chance at a US goal, they gave up a goal, the close up of that offensive foul should be an example of what you can never do forever

#6 entering the pool from the exclusion early, giving up a penalty

Not sure they would have won without those avoidable mistakes, but it would have been fun to see a tied game coming down to the wire, maybe the Spanish would have gotten a little tight in the collar
he nailed your head to the floor? Wol, e ad to, I ad transgressed the unwritten law...

TCoach
How are you connected to water polo?: Player, Coach, WPP Home Page Contributor

Postby TCoach » Wed Aug 04, 2021 11:20 pm

Gonna throw my 2 cents in:

In 2008 we had maybe the top players in each position - Bailey in center, Azevedo outside, Moses in goal, and Smith in his prime. Now we have... Hallock?

Wolf and Holland are not going to make it at this level. They look away and wave at shots. Bilac, Nagy, Lopez, etc are following everything to blocks. The young Spanish goalie was on fire against croatia

We need American coaches, we have 40+ collegiate programs and until recently Olympic coaches came from HS/AAU. Ratko and Dejan pitched Olympic development but had no real incentive to develop talent and didn't. Both of them will leave/have left when their time is up with little to show in terms of systematic progress. I want to see an American coach who attends coaching clinics and is vocal in the developmental process. Since 2016, I've seen the players take direction from Alex after listening to Dejan generically rant every break.

Ryan

butterybarin10

Postby butterybarin10 » Thu Aug 05, 2021 12:48 am

TCoach wrote:Gonna throw my 2 cents in:

In 2008 we had maybe the top players in each position - Bailey in center, Azevedo outside, Moses in goal, and Smith in his prime. Now we have... Hallock?

Wolf and Holland are not going to make it at this level. They look away and wave at shots. Bilac, Nagy, Lopez, etc are following everything to blocks. The young Spanish goalie was on fire against croatia

We need American coaches, we have 40+ collegiate programs and until recently Olympic coaches came from HS/AAU. Ratko and Dejan pitched Olympic development but had no real incentive to develop talent and didn't. Both of them will leave/have left when their time is up with little to show in terms of systematic progress. I want to see an American coach who attends coaching clinics and is vocal in the developmental process. Since 2016, I've seen the players take direction from Alex after listening to Dejan generically rant every break.

Ryan

I have to agree with you about the goalie situation.. I know they both have had some good moments but every replay I swear, I see eyes closed/looking away / swinging at the ball. Both are nearing there mid/late 20s and I just think it’s too late for either of them to become a top notch goalie that make the difference that Nagy, Bijac, Pavic, Lopez, Greek goalie make for their teams. In my opinion this was close to the biggest issue with performance this year and I know I may get a lot of disagreement but that’s just my 2 cents from what I’ve seen. I’m not sure who coaches/leads the goalies but we need someone that imitates and coaches that same technique/form that the Europeans have.

Return to “US Mens National Water Polo Team”