Re: US Men’s Head Coach Hot Board

Postby Horse585 » Mon Aug 16, 2021 11:41 pm

I’ve got the perfect candidate.

Ted Lasso.

retiredguy
How are you connected to water polo?: Former player, fan

Postby retiredguy » Tue Aug 17, 2021 1:40 am

Again, Ormsby has been pretty straight forward about wanting to be a teacher and coach. Didn’t work out at Stanford for him, I can’t imagine he is interested in this job.

While my first choice would be Adam Krikorian, I find it interesting that no one has mentioned James Graham. Graham is a builder and has shown consistent success with the men and women at UOP. At this point, I think people are starting to forget where UOP was when Graham took over and are starting to take for granted the fact that UOP is going to compete for NCAA titles.

Dinosaur dad
How are you connected to water polo?: Former plater, enthusiast, dad

Postby Dinosaur dad » Tue Aug 17, 2021 9:30 am

Horse585 wrote:I’ve got the perfect candidate.

Ted Lasso.

Second that! :)

H2Opolo10
How are you connected to water polo?: Player, coach, ref, fan

Postby H2Opolo10 » Tue Aug 17, 2021 9:34 am

retiredguy wrote:Again, Ormsby has been pretty straight forward about wanting to be a teacher and coach. Didn’t work out at Stanford for him, I can’t imagine he is interested in this job.

While my first choice would be Adam Krikorian, I find it interesting that no one has mentioned James Graham. Graham is a builder and has shown consistent success with the men and women at UOP. At this point, I think people are starting to forget where UOP was when Graham took over and are starting to take for granted the fact that UOP is going to compete for NCAA titles.

James Graham came to my mind. Like others with their current jobs though, I don’t see him leaving UOP.

I was thinking some combination of Graham and Flacks would be great. I don’t know how logistically that could work, but having both on the staff would work for a number of reasons, in my opinion. They complement each other really well. And they’ve both proven to put together great rosters without any “restrictions.” They’re driven and do develop athletes. They are great at putting to use video analysis and scouting. And players like to play for them both. I think there’s a better chance players would want to play multiple Olympic cycles for Graham and/or Flacks than Wright or Vavic. Just my opinion.

Justafan22
How are you connected to water polo?: Just a fan of WP

Postby Justafan22 » Tue Aug 17, 2021 4:40 pm

retiredguy wrote:Again, Ormsby has been pretty straight forward about wanting to be a teacher and coach. Didn’t work out at Stanford for him, I can’t imagine he is interested in this job.

Very good point with Graham. That guy built UOP into a contender out of nothing. He is also the type of Coach that will command respect, from whoever plays for him. He would make his players as committed and passionate about the game as he is.

john70
How are you connected to water polo?: fan

Postby john70 » Sun Aug 22, 2021 4:48 pm

Thersites wrote:Would be great to rate the best WP coaches in the U.S. as there is a dearth of talent if we start with College. The ranks need to be improved to develop Olympic players. We need better coaches at the College level not just a couple who we have now. Coaches such as Ormsby belong at the college level. Give him the position at UCSD and they would be NCAA contenders every year.. He knows the San Diego WP scene and since his departure Club and HS has suffered in producing top level college and NT players. Gruwell is just one of his player's who should shortly will be on the Senior team.

"belong at the college level" I wouldn't call it "belong", after his very short trip to Stanford !?

Gypsyking
How are you connected to water polo?: Coach

Postby Gypsyking » Thu Sep 09, 2021 3:49 am

Robert Lynn should be the head coach. High level players and Olympic coaches from around the world are baffled by the US for not keeping him and promoting him to be leading our men’s National team. Hannes and Max are connected to him via Long Beach alone. Let’s not also forget to mention that a real good reason why Luca is even playing for the US is due to Robert’s influence at Newport. Also, before he was at Newport, he spent time helping develop young Hooper at HW.

The guy has been trailblazing for young American players his whole career. He should be heavily recognized and promoted for the job and if not then the most USAWP should do is nominate him for Hall of Fame.

Rbpolo0414
How are you connected to water polo?: Fan

Postby Rbpolo0414 » Thu Sep 09, 2021 2:42 pm

Gypsyking wrote:Robert Lynn should be the head coach. High level players and Olympic coaches from around the world are baffled by the US for not keeping him and promoting him to be leading our men’s National team. Hannes and Max are connected to him via Long Beach alone. Let’s not also forget to mention that a real good reason why Luca is even playing for the US is due to Robert’s influence at Newport. Also, before he was at Newport, he spent time helping develop young Hooper at HW.

The guy has been trailblazing for young American players his whole career. He should be heavily recognized and promoted for the job and if not then the most USAWP should do is nominate him for Hall of Fame.

He’s a good water polo mind, but I don’t see it happening. Rumor has it Dejan is still the coach, so it doesn’t matter. Now if he was an assistant under Dejan, that would be a big boost. I think It’s time Arod moves on.

Return to “US Mens National Water Polo Team”