How are you connected to water polo?: fan

Men's Senior National Team Summer Training Camp Invites

Postby wpolo93 » Wed May 18, 2022 11:41 pm

H2Opolo10
How are you connected to water polo?: Player, coach, ref, fan

Re: Men's Senior National Team Summer Training Camp Invites

Postby H2Opolo10 » Thu May 19, 2022 7:16 pm

Some thoughts of mine after seeing the roster:

I get Cupido and Hooper wanting to have a career outside of water polo and a coach wanting to keep them around because they’re talented. But there’s something somewhat deflating about guys missing training and World Championships to do their own thing and then coming back in December no problem. I guess if you can go over a year without playing water polo at the highest level and still be good enough to make the team then good for them.

No Jack Deely. Would have liked to see him there.

Tanner Pulice didn’t play for UCLA at Fisher Cup. Wonder if he was nursing an injury or something and wanted to be healthy for the NT training?

As far as lefties go, Molthen doesn’t seem to be in favor with Udovicic, while Dunstan does.

Rbpolo0414
How are you connected to water polo?: Fan

Postby Rbpolo0414 » Thu May 19, 2022 10:10 pm

H2Opolo10 wrote:Some thoughts of mine after seeing the roster:

I get Cupido and Hooper wanting to have a career outside of water polo and a coach wanting to keep them around because they’re talented. But there’s something somewhat deflating about guys missing training and World Championships to do their own thing and then coming back in December no problem. I guess if you can go over a year without playing water polo at the highest level and still be good enough to make the team then good for them.

Tanner Pulice didn’t play for UCLA at Fisher Cup. Wonder if he was nursing an injury or something and wanted to be healthy for the NT training?

As far as lefties go, Molthen doesn’t seem to be in favor with Udovicic, while Dunstan does.

I get what you are saying about Cupido and Hooper, but I applaud Dejan for being flexible. It is the only way you will be able to keep more guys playing well into their mid to late 20’s.

Horse585
How are you connected to water polo?: player, coach, fan, ref

Postby Horse585 » Thu May 19, 2022 11:04 pm

Rbpolo0414 wrote:
H2Opolo10 wrote:Some thoughts of mine after seeing the roster:

I get what you are saying about Cupido and Hooper, but I applaud Dejan for being flexible. It is the only way you will be able to keep more guys playing well into their mid to late 20’s.

Agreed on flexibility. Otherwise it’s a start over every quad.

Also, per total-waterpolo, Cupido was listed as rumoured to join Barceloneta in the 2022-23 Spanish season. He may not want to be a corporate schlep just yet!

2plyBathingSuit
How are you connected to water polo?: I personally played in High School and College.
Love the sport.

Postby 2plyBathingSuit » Fri May 20, 2022 1:05 am

Dejan is in charge folks. Nothing good will come from this simply because he isn't a good water polo coach...that can't '"relate" to American players. It's just the way it is. But hey, let's try to spin-it that he knows what he's doing. Unfortunately though, the definition of insanity means doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result. We already know the outcome.

Ash isn't listed anywhere? Where'd he go?

PoloNHB

Postby PoloNHB » Fri May 20, 2022 9:32 am

H2Opolo10 wrote:

Pulice and Shipman have both announced they are leaving UCLA.

Rbpolo0414

Postby Rbpolo0414 » Fri May 20, 2022 9:50 am

PoloNHB wrote:
H2Opolo10 wrote:

Pulice and Shipman have both announced they are leaving UCLA.

Where to?

sbdad
How are you connected to water polo?: parent, fan, player

Postby sbdad » Fri May 20, 2022 11:56 am

100 percent speculation, would Flacks bring Shipman to Stanford?

H2Opolo10
How are you connected to water polo?: Player, coach, ref, fan

Postby H2Opolo10 » Fri May 20, 2022 3:11 pm

sbdad wrote:100 percent speculation, would Flacks bring Shipman to Stanford?

Not sure about this. But what I am curious about is whether there will be a shift in where HW guys go to college to play water polo with Flacks now at Stanford. Just based off of memory, so I might be wrong, only 2 HW guys have gone to Stanford to play in the 8 years or so, despite many more than that surely having the grades and talent to get in there. Will guys who have been going to Ivies on the east coast start going to Stanford more often? I’d bet so.

I’d also imagine his connection with the national team will get more of his Stanford players invited to senior team training in the future. Can’t hurt at least. Though he redshirted last year, so it’s hard to know how he’s been playing recently, I’m a little surprised Jack Martin wasn’t invited.

Just in general, with lefties being a clear position of need, I’d think guys like Martin, Molthen, and one or two of the lefties from the academy team would be at this training in addition to Abramson and Dunstan (and Rhodes after his academic commitment). But I’m just spitballing here.

Rbpolo0414

Postby Rbpolo0414 » Fri May 20, 2022 3:39 pm

H2Opolo10 wrote:
sbdad wrote:100 percent speculation, would Flacks bring Shipman to Stanford?

Not sure about this. But what I am curious about is whether there will be a shift in where HW guys go to college to play water polo with Flacks now at Stanford. Just based off of memory, so I might be wrong, only 2 HW guys have gone to Stanford to play in the 8 years or so, despite many more than that surely having the grades and talent to get in there. Will guys who have been going to Ivies on the east coast start going to Stanford more often? I’d bet so.

I’d also imagine his connection with the national team will get more of his Stanford players invited to senior team training in the future. Can’t hurt at least. Though he redshirted last year, so it’s hard to know how he’s been playing recently, I’m a little surprised Jack Martin wasn’t invited.

Just in general, with lefties being a clear position of need, I’d think guys like Martin, Molthen, and one or two of the lefties from the academy team would be at this training in addition to Abramson and Dunstan (and Rhodes after his academic commitment). But I’m just spitballing here.

He might snag an Ivy bound kid or two, but I’m not sure any of those recent players would of ever made a difference at a big 4. Great players, yes, but they made the smart call by going to Harvard and Princeton. I’m guessing the real difference makers over the years haven’t had the GPA to get in to Stanford.

2plyBathingSuit
How are you connected to water polo?: I personally played in High School and College.
Love the sport.

Postby 2plyBathingSuit » Sat May 21, 2022 2:46 am

Do you want my "honest" opinion? Perhaps, most probably not. But to answer your own inquiry...my response to yours is affirmative. Stanford is very difficult to get into...no matter "how good you are" as a waterpolo player. Ivies are no different but the young (potentially) recruited "cream-of-the-crop" are constantly vying for that coveted "Pink Slip" from Stanford. It's the reason why the Ivies will "never compete" against the Big Four is because they don't bring in the best American players or foreigners. But we all know that's changing. It's the only reason why they can begin to compete every now and then (Anyone question that?). Just regurgitating what everybody already knows. My best guess is Eastern colleges will make inroads into breaking-into the the Big Three simply because of their "easy" admission process. I'm talking about Bucknell, Fordham, George Washington and St. Francis. It's really only a matter of time before we see "real-change" from foreign influence. ;-)

5150wpdad
How are you connected to water polo?: Son has played since U10. Now plays in college.

Postby 5150wpdad » Thu Jun 09, 2022 11:42 am

Yesterday's USMNT game vs Germany

Tied 9-9 at start of 4th qtr. US squeaked out the win.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbfief7aIIA

Nohorsepolo
How are you connected to water polo?: Polo dad

Postby Nohorsepolo » Thu Jun 09, 2022 9:53 pm

Is 2 ply going to enlighten us about the SNT now? I see only a few college kids playing. Is he OK with that? Can’t wait?

Rbpolo0414

Postby Rbpolo0414 » Fri Jun 17, 2022 5:45 pm

https://usawaterpolo.org/news/2022/6/17 ... &fs=e&s=cl

Shaking my head. Why is this guy still employed?

Nohorsepolo
How are you connected to water polo?: Polo dad

Postby Nohorsepolo » Fri Jun 17, 2022 8:35 pm

I think only because 2 ply already had a day job. But since you asked why don’t you be more specific?

Return to “US Mens National Water Polo Team”