How to train High Intensity & Volume

Mike Reid will answer your questions about physical training, weight training and general training for water polo.
MichaelReid
How are you connected to water polo?: Player, Coach & Official.

I am a professional Strength & Conditioning Coach from Canada living for the past 6 years in Europe but I'm now back coaching Water Polo in Canada.
I operate 2 websites on training, health and nutrition.

www.michaelreid.ca

www.waterpolotraining.net

I am presently writing a monthly article for WaterPoloPlanet on strength & conditioning for Water Polo.

How to train High Intensity & Volume

Postby MichaelReid » Sun Jan 16, 2011 6:51 am

In the most recent article on Long Term Athlete Development (LTAD) I pose the following question:

I invite the coaches here at WPP to suggest how a program at this level could remain intense for a full season. All coaches are welcome to the discussion (I will post a thread on the WPP forum).
source: http://www.waterpoloplanet.com/HTML_Mike_pages/mr19_Strength_Training.html

Generally speaking in sports training there is an inverse relationship between intensity and volume (i.e. as intensity goes up, volume goes down). But at this elite level (Training to Win), it is suggested that these athletes need both high intensity and volume.

How can they do this?

Certainly, the use of strategically planned recovery periods or breaks are important as written in the article but what else can we do?

Interested to read ALL of your comments.

Return to “Physical Training With Mike Reid”