Masters biceps tendon issues

Mike Reid will answer your questions about physical training, weight training and general training for water polo.
Site Admin

Masters biceps tendon issues

Postby Moderator » Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:58 pm

Mike,
A couple of older (40's-50's) male masters players have asked for a rehab/strengthening exercise they can do for tendon damage in the biceps area. Their doctors are telling them that their biceps muscles are too developed for their tendons and not giving them much direction in what to do.
Any ideas?

MichaelReid
How are you connected to water polo?: Player, Coach & Official.

I am a professional Strength & Conditioning Coach from Canada living for the past 6 years in Europe but I'm now back coaching Water Polo in Canada.
I operate 2 websites on training, health and nutrition.

www.michaelreid.ca

www.waterpolotraining.net

I am presently writing a monthly article for WaterPoloPlanet on strength & conditioning for Water Polo.

Re: Masters biceps tendon issues

Postby MichaelReid » Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:52 pm

male masters players have asked for a rehab/strengthening exercise they can do for tendon damage in the biceps area.

A few things:

1. Very important for them to work with a medical pro in their area. If they are not happy with the response from their current Dr. then they should go see another one or another medical professional (e.g. Chiropractor, physiotherapist ...).

2. Tendons of the Biceps cross the elbow and the shoulder (long head) joints. Is this a shoulder problem, an elbow problem or something else?

3. Strengthening exercises in general are usually a good thing BUT other factors need to be rules out.
Example: involvement of the neck ... all the nerves that innervate the shoulder and arm muscles originate from the cervical spine (neck).

Thank You for the Question.

Return to “Physical Training With Mike Reid”