Even Eastern Europeans talk about LTAD

Mike Reid will answer your questions about physical training, weight training and general training for water polo.
MichaelReid
How are you connected to water polo?: Player, Coach & Official.

I am a professional Strength & Conditioning Coach from Canada living for the past 6 years in Europe but I'm now back coaching Water Polo in Canada.
I operate 2 websites on training, health and nutrition.

www.michaelreid.ca

www.waterpolotraining.net

I am presently writing a monthly article for WaterPoloPlanet on strength & conditioning for Water Polo.

Even Eastern Europeans talk about LTAD

Postby MichaelReid » Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:05 pm

Below is from Water Polo legend Vladimir Vujasinovic on kids and sports. Even though he never mentions it, this is very much the essence of Long-Term Athlete Development (LTAD).

Vladimir Vujasinovic: "I believe that kids should practice sports because of the psychophysical development. That needs to be team sport, and you shouldn't push them too much. Kids should be left alone, to play, and the coaches need to teach them through playing. Not to force them to work morning to night, to try to make adult of them when they're not. It all goes its natural way, the champion will be a champion he has it inside of him."
From the recent article: http://www.waterpoloplanet.com/HTML_Srdjan_pages/sm22_European_Polo.html

gilligan
How are you connected to water polo?: ***

Re: Even Eastern Europeans talk about LTAD

Postby gilligan » Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:55 pm

Yep, sounds a bit like he's talking about physical literacy.

Then again, some of the best ways to learn basic movements at an early age come from individual activities like swimming and gymnastics. Those skills do translate to success in team sport.

He's right on the mark about letting them just "play", and having age appropriate activities, rather than training them like they are mini adults.

Return to “Physical Training With Mike Reid”