2018 Roster

Discussion of USA Semi Professional League
2plyBathingSuit
How are you connected to water polo?: I personally played in High School and College.
Love the sport.

Re: 2018 Roster

Postby 2plyBathingSuit » Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:34 pm

deepwater wrote:Also, a team that trains together, play together. Why aren’t the Nat team players a single unit?

Just a guess, but it seems USAWP has given up on that "old antiquated idea" and decided to spread the wealth around. IMO they're attempting to make the NL seem a bit more exciting and competitive (this year). I'm sure USA water polo is using this interim time period (between Olympics) to assess all the players...essentially "tryouts" if you will.

deepwater

Postby deepwater » Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:30 pm

2plyBathingSuit wrote:
deepwater wrote:Also, a team that trains together, play together. Why aren’t the Nat team players a single unit?

Just a guess, but it seems USAWP has given up on that "old antiquated idea" and decided to spread the wealth around. IMO they're attempting to make the NL seem a bit more exciting and competitive (this year). I'm sure USA water polo is using this interim time period (between Olympics) to assess all the players...essentially "tryouts" if you will.

Not sure keeping a cohesive group of core nat players together is an antiquated approach and, spreading the wealth proved to be disastrous for us two years ago and on track to be disastrous in two years to come.

2plyBathingSuit
How are you connected to water polo?: I personally played in High School and College.
Love the sport.

Postby 2plyBathingSuit » Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:55 pm

deepwater wrote:
2plyBathingSuit wrote:

Not sure keeping a cohesive group of core nat players together is an antiquated approach and, spreading the wealth proved to be disastrous for us two years ago and on track to be disastrous in two years to come.

I'm in total agreement with you. IMO its already too late to pick a new national team. They should have already picked one and started practicing together two years ago.

Rbpolo0414
How are you connected to water polo?: Fan

Postby Rbpolo0414 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:45 pm

2plyBathingSuit wrote:
deepwater wrote:
2plyBathingSuit wrote:

I'm in total agreement with you. IMO its already too late to pick a new national team. They should have already picked one and started practicing together two years ago.

I’d guess the 2020 pool of athletes was already decided upon in 2016. I don’t think I would consider these tryouts because nobody is likely to break into that group that hasn’t already been “identified.” All they need to do over the next 2 years is whittle it down to the 11 players.

Irvbeck
How are you connected to water polo?: Fan, informed observer

Postby Irvbeck » Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:00 pm

Saw on FOSH USA University up 5-1 at half, then switched goalies. “Second half goalie” gave-up 12 goals and they lost with inside a minute to go?

2plyBathingSuit
Love the sport.

Postby 2plyBathingSuit » Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:55 pm

Well, after the first day of NL, it looks as though the cream has already risen to the top...with Olympic Club going 2-0.

santacruzpolo
How are you connected to water polo?: Play masters polo in Santa Cruz

Postby santacruzpolo » Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:10 pm

jeff wrote:If all of the key players show up, I predict that the New York Athletic Club, Olympic Club, and USA University will finish first, second, and third. The NYAC roster is loaded as usual with seven members of the 2016 Olympic team. I have heard that Anthony Daboub (I still think he's our best 2M defender) will miss the National League competition as he recovers from an injury. It's interesting to see Bret Bonanni listed on the NYAC roster. Does anyone know if he is considering playing for the 2020 Olympic team? Is Alex Bowen playing overseas?

______
Bowen is playing for Miskolic club team based in Hungary.
https://www.waterpology.com/miskolc-end ... ng-streak/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miskolci_VLC
http://mvlc.hu/

deepwater

Postby deepwater » Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:19 pm

Rbpolo0414 wrote:
2plyBathingSuit wrote:
deepwater wrote:
2plyBathingSuit wrote:

I’d guess the 2020 pool of athletes was already decided upon in 2016. I don’t think I would consider these tryouts because nobody is likely to break into that group that hasn’t already been “identified.” All they need to do over the next 2 years is whittle it down to the 11 players.

That's fine, as stated earlier, "a team that trains together, play together." The core Nat/Oly team should not be fragmented. Rotate a few hopefuls into the fine-up, let them work hard for a spot or displace someone that isn't living up to their performance.

PoloX2
How are you connected to water polo?: Parent of two players

Postby PoloX2 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:46 pm

Irvbeck wrote:Saw on FOSH USA University up 5-1 at half, then switched goalies. “Second half goalie” gave-up 12 goals and they lost with inside a minute to go?

Yes... just a wee bit frustrating. FOSH has Alex Wolf playing in the 3rd and 4th quarters, which he didn't, and is attributing 12 GA to him instead of 1.

Rbpolo0414

Postby Rbpolo0414 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:28 pm

PoloX2 wrote:
Irvbeck wrote:Saw on FOSH USA University up 5-1 at half, then switched goalies. “Second half goalie” gave-up 12 goals and they lost with inside a minute to go?

Yes... just a wee bit frustrating. FOSH has Alex Wolf playing in the 3rd and 4th quarters, which he didn't, and is attributing 12 GA to him instead of 1.

That is the biggest problem with FOSH, it is only as good as the person working the table. Very inconsistent.

2plyBathingSuit
Love the sport.

Postby 2plyBathingSuit » Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:46 pm

Yea, I was following FOSH during the USA University vs California game...where early in the first period FOSH credited a brutality to Ryan Hurst... and then immediately following that...a yellow card was issued to K. Everist. Glad I checked back later because the brutality credited had been changed to Nikos Delagrammatikas. The yellow card issued to Kirk though...never changed. You just never know.

Irvbeck
How are you connected to water polo?: Fan, informed observer

Postby Irvbeck » Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:15 pm

I was able to make it to a couple of games because the ODP tournament was nearby. With the NYAC vs USA University game, NYAC was down 5-1 at half. Baron was in goal for NYAC and Wolf for University the first half. Wolf was tremendous giving up just the one goal. Baron stayed in the second half, but another goalie came-in for University. NYAC scored 12 goals in the second half! Every shot on goal went in - every shot. Those young guys had them beat. They easily handled Alumni with Wolf playing the whole game. Did not see the third game, but Wolf didn’t play and University held on to win against Cal.

If these were “real games”, Dejan wouldn’t have switched goalies, but I suppose it was looked at as a “tryout”. FAIL

Rbpolo0414

Postby Rbpolo0414 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:03 pm

Irvbeck wrote:I was able to make it to a couple of games because the ODP tournament was nearby. With the NYAC vs USA University game, NYAC was down 5-1 at half. Baron was in goal for NYAC and Wolf for University the first half. Wolf was tremendous giving up just the one goal. Baron stayed in the second half, but another goalie came-in for University. NYAC scored 12 goals in the second half! Every shot on goal went in - every shot. Those young guys had them beat. They easily handled Alumni with Wolf playing the whole game. Did not see the third game, but Wolf didn’t play and University held on to win against Cal.

If these were “real games”, Dejan wouldn’t have switched goalies, but I suppose it was looked at as a “tryout”. FAIL

You said on a previous post that you saw this on FOSH. Now you are saying you attended the game? Which is it?

2plyBathingSuit
Love the sport.

Postby 2plyBathingSuit » Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:26 pm

Irvbeck wrote: If these were “real games”, Dejan wouldn’t have switched goalies, but I suppose it was looked at as a “tryout”. FAIL

I wasn't there but I've been around long enough to know how ODP/NL works. Everybody gets a chance to play. Same thing occurred in the Youth ODP final between PAC Red vs PSW. PAC was comfortably ahead at the half (7-2 I think)...then there was a goalie change and PSW came roaring back to tie it up and send it into overtime. The PAC coach put the starting goalie back in for overtime. PAC won the game. Everybody got to play.

waterballer
How are you connected to water polo?: observer, veteran

Postby waterballer » Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:26 am

Let’s not forget that PSW rotated their players just like PAC and PSW actually beat PAC in bracket play the day before. They also beat SPA Red who PAC never even had to play. Just bringing balance to possible assumption that Gold medal match wasn’t two equal talented teams.

Return to “National Waterpolo League (NWL)”