Lack of support/interest in the Women's team?

US Senior/Junior Teams
HANKTORING
How are you connected to water polo?: Former club director, coach, national team staff member, parent, grandparent and fan.

Lack of support/interest in the Women's team?

Postby HANKTORING » Wed Jun 23, 2021 1:46 pm

What I find interesting is that the only successful National Team has virtually zero interest on this forum. Even those close to the program are not communicating information to the general membership. The women's team will be officially announced this morning, Wednesday, at 11 AM and there is no references to it, while messages abound about the hapless men's program!

OCPoloDad

Re: Lack of support/interest in the Women's team?

Postby OCPoloDad » Wed Jun 23, 2021 4:43 pm

Agreed. Maybe because winning becomes boring?

Congratulations on those selected for our 2021 Olympic Team:

Ashleigh Johnson (Miami, FL/Princeton/NYAC)
Maddie Musselman (Newport Beach, CA/UCLA/CdM Aquatics)
Melissa Seidemann (Walnut Creek, CA/Stanford/NYAC)
Rachel Fattal (Seal Beach, CA/UCLA/SOCAL)
Paige Hauschild (Santa Barbara, CA/USC/Santa Barbara 805)
Maggie Steffens (Danville, CA/Stanford/NYAC)
Stephania Haralabidis (Athens, Greece/USC/NYAC)
Jamie Neushul (Isla Vista, CA/Stanford/NYAC)
Aria Fischer (Laguna Beach, CA/Stanford/SET)
Kaleigh Gilchrist (Newport Beach, CA/USC/NYAC)
Makenzie Fischer (Laguna Beach, CA/Stanford/SET)
Alys Williams (Huntington Beach, CA/UCLA/Huntington Beach WPF)
Amanda Longan (Moorpark, CA/USC/Santa Barbara 805)

ephpolo
How are you connected to water polo?: Ex-player, Ex-coach, referee

Postby ephpolo » Wed Jun 23, 2021 5:23 pm

Not just a recent phenomenon. Despite heroic efforts by WPP founder Doc Hunkler to promote women's water polo, it's always been in the slow lane in the discussion forums. Especially so for the WNT.

I have to say, if I was still coaching, I'd be using tape from our women's team to teach offensive and defensive tactics. Their games are great fun to watch, and you can't argue with success. Passing, positioning, shooting, defense--they don't make many mistakes or sloppy plays.

wapofan
How are you connected to water polo?: Parent of water polo players

Postby wapofan » Fri Jun 25, 2021 12:24 pm

Not to get political, but it's honestly the same with every sport where the focus of attention lies on the men. Just look at Women's National Soccer Team and the whole debacle with the Women's NCAA Basketball championships.

wp12
How are you connected to water polo?: player/fan

Postby wp12 » Fri Jun 25, 2021 7:17 pm

To be honest though the National Team boards on here are usually pretty dead for the men and women

SwimCoach
How are you connected to water polo?: Fan, Instructor, Lifelong Swimmer

Postby SwimCoach » Fri Jun 25, 2021 8:38 pm

wp12 wrote:To be honest though the National Team boards on here are usually pretty dead for the men and women

I find it hard to believe mens side would be dead if they had the sam success as the women.

wp12
How are you connected to water polo?: player/fan

Postby wp12 » Wed Jun 30, 2021 11:20 pm

Yeah maybe, but even in 2008 when the men won the silver it wasn't all that active.

In other news the women are back playing games again in SOCAL and fans are actually allowed! Just saw this announced on USAWP social media.
https://twitter.com/USAWP/status/141036 ... 63331?s=20

madone
How are you connected to water polo?: player, coach, enthusiast

Postby madone » Mon Jul 26, 2021 2:16 am

The boy’s/men’s side is mostly written about by players and parents. Most of the content is opinions by a small group. We should be encouraging more girls/women and their parents to get active on the board.

-32H20polo
How are you connected to water polo?: fan

Postby -32H20polo » Mon Jul 26, 2021 10:34 am

I am purposing that maybe some of the lack of interest is due to the recent events within USA waterpolo. I have also observed in the last several years the support on this site has gone down, I have stopped posting because of the rude attacks on post to other people. Another reason there might be the lack of support.
We also need to get the media to start broadcasting and reporting on our sport more from the High School level on up. There are so many channels now that this could happen.
These are just thoughts from one person.

mkeh20
How are you connected to water polo?: former college club player, now fan

Postby mkeh20 » Mon Jul 26, 2021 1:33 pm

I think part of what drives traffic/posts is controversy or grudges. There is not much room to criticize Adam's method, style or success (128-3 2016-2020). Dejan has a cottage comment industry built around every decision he makes or has made since he took the job.

Out in the world I think the women's game is generating growth and interest. The New York Times has a great article "The Most Dominant Team at the Games Might Be Better Than Ever".https://www.nytimes.com/2021/07/26/sports/olympics/water-polo-us-women.html. I personally think the women's game is more approachable for the new fan and encourage the water polo curious to start watching these games.

wpviewer
How are you connected to water polo?: supporter

Postby wpviewer » Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:53 pm

In the Tokyo Olympics thread, 7 of the total 14 posts (now about 18 hours after THE LOSS) have to do with the Women Losing. Finally something to talk about as it is a little dull when the US women dominate game after game. Now there's an element of uncertainty which hopefully will increase the interest. The US Women are fantastic but it is interesting to see if the rest of the world is catching up or ?

HawkinsPolo4
How are you connected to water polo?: College water polo graduate, four-year high school player, and long time club player. Now coaching club year around and playing masters

Postby HawkinsPolo4 » Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:15 pm

I have always been a firm believer that the US women would either plateau or International teams would follow the US model and it seems like the later is occurring now with the possibility for the former to occur later (see the finishes of our Junior and Youth teams in the last major international tournaments).

I think it's fair to say a few things have played parts in how this has occurred to biggest being the US's means of stepping away from running a true center offense and more havoc/attacker style. Even if they do have a player going into Center, they don't have the same presence as say a Kami Craig would when she played at center. That could also be a moot point too though as even then she also was an incredibly fast swimmer.

The Hungarians utilized a lot of center work in this game, but even they seem to have followed a US model with athletes who have leaner body types and are fast on the counter. I think with greater investment as well a lot of countries have looked at the model the US women have established.

I'll leave it with this; when you're on top of the game you get to change the game. For the US women, what will it take to remain on top not just for this Olympics but for 2024 too?

-32H20polo
How are you connected to water polo?: fan

Postby -32H20polo » Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:27 am

HawkinsPolo4 I agree the other countries are taking our play book and using it against us. It appears that our ladies are getting a little slower in their older age. The lack of center play I think goes to the fact that it is not being coached for the simple fact the perimeter players do not know how to work with a 2 meter offense. The teaching/coaching of this has dropped off. Frankly, the game has become sloppy without a true 2 meter player. The sped I am not sure if it has dropped off but it appears so. In recent years it appears there are far to many shots being taken that are actually shot directly into the goalie. I mean this at all levels
I think if we had more coverage for this sport. It is actually a very fun sport to sit and watch. The National team needs to travel the U.S. putting on showcases all over not just the big cities or the big Universities but all over a couple of games and invites for kids to get in the pool with them might just grow this sport. Spread your knowledge around to the other areas, not just Southern California. There are other parts of the U.S. and even other parts of California.

poloredux
How are you connected to water polo?: fan and observer

Postby poloredux » Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:13 pm

-32H20polo wrote:HawkinsPolo4 I agree the other countries are taking our play book and using it against us. It appears that our ladies are getting a little slower in their older age. The lack of center play I think goes to the fact that it is not being coached for the simple fact the perimeter players do not know how to work with a 2 meter offense. The teaching/coaching of this has dropped off. Frankly, the game has become sloppy without a true 2 meter player. The sped I am not sure if it has dropped off but it appears so. In recent years it appears there are far to many shots being taken that are actually shot directly into the goalie. I mean this at all levels
I think if we had more coverage for this sport. It is actually a very fun sport to sit and watch. The National team needs to travel the U.S. putting on showcases all over not just the big cities or the big Universities but all over a couple of games and invites for kids to get in the pool with them might just grow this sport. Spread your knowledge around to the other areas, not just Southern California. There are other parts of the U.S. and even other parts of California.

Aria Fischer is a true center, is she not?

And slower in their older age? Really? That’s the reasoning you’re going to use here? Give me a break.

OCPoloDad

Postby OCPoloDad » Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:42 pm

Yes, Aria Fisher is a true center. Bottom line is that Hungary executed in Q4 whereas the U.S. did not. U.S. was 1/5 shooting and Hungary was 3/7. Q4 6x5 the U.S was 0/2 and Hungary was 1/1. Again, in my opinion, credit the Hungarian field defense.

Return to “US Womens National Water Polo Teams”