Sailors Cup

The New Generation
H2Opolo10
How are you connected to water polo?: Player, coach, ref, fan

Sailors Cup

Postby H2Opolo10 » Sat May 21, 2022 12:46 pm

jlweath
How are you connected to water polo?: Was a player, age group coach, two sons played through college, and I am a fan

Re: Sailors Cup

Postby jlweath » Mon May 23, 2022 6:49 pm

Some of the results for the 14U (Top 6/7):

14U Boys Platinum
1 - Del Mar
2 - Newport Blue
3 - Socal Black
4 - Pride
5 - LA Premier
6 - CC United
7 - North Irvine Black

- Del Mar, Newport, Socal played well. I understand that Newport was missing their goalie, Socal was missing 2 starters and their coach, but considering they played some close games and have to be considered top 3 candidates for the NJO.

14U Boys Gold
1 - CDM
2 - Del Mar B
3 - North Irvine Red
4 - Back Bay
5 - Socal Gold
6 - Vanguard White
7 - San Clemente

- Del Mar showed their depth with their B team finishing in the top 2, Socal Gold had a good showing to also show the depth Socal has, but unfortunately they were in the same bracket as Del Mar B and did not have a shot at the 3/4 placement.

14U Girls Platinum
1 - Vanguard Blue
2 -Newport Blue
3 - Rose Bowl
4 - OCWPC
5 - SD Shores
6 - Newport White

- Do not know what Socal Black team was playing on Saturday, but it was not their 14U Black team as they lost twice to finish 4th in their bracket

14U Girls Gold (only 3 teams)
1 - Socal Gold
2 - CMAC
3 - Trojan Gold

H2Opolo10
How are you connected to water polo?: Player, coach, ref, fan

Postby H2Opolo10 » Mon May 23, 2022 7:35 pm

jlweath wrote:Some of the results for the 14U (Top 6/7):

14U Boys Platinum
1 - Del Mar
2 - Newport Blue
3 - Socal Black
4 - Pride
5 - LA Premier
6 - CC United
7 - North Irvine Black

- Del Mar, Newport, Socal played well. I understand that Newport was missing their goalie, Socal was missing 2 starters and their coach, but considering they played some close games and have to be considered top 3 candidates for the NJO.

14U Boys Gold
1 - CDM
2 - Del Mar B
3 - North Irvine Red
4 - Back Bay
5 - Socal Gold
6 - Vanguard White
7 - San Clemente

- Del Mar showed their depth with their B team finishing in the top 2, Socal Gold had a good showing to also show the depth Socal has, but unfortunately they were in the same bracket as Del Mar B and did not have a shot at the 3/4 placement.

14U Girls Platinum
1 - Vanguard Blue
2 -Newport Blue
3 - Rose Bowl
4 - OCWPC
5 - SD Shores
6 - Newport White

- Do not know what Socal Black team was playing on Saturday, but it was not their 14U Black team as they lost twice to finish 4th in their bracket

1 - Socal Gold
2 - CMAC
3 - Trojan Gold

I would rank the 14s boys as of right now as follows:

Del Mar
Newport
Vanguard
Socal
Lamorinda

Del Mar has had an impressive season going 5-0 against Newport and Vanguard between Futures and Sailors Cup. They also won Champions Cup in the fall. As far as I know they lost to Greenwich there but came back to beat them in the championship match. At Sailors Cup, Del Mar was also missing their starting goalie and their head coach. They’re B team, like you said, is solid, too.

Socal was actually up at half over Newport and was controlling the game. Kinda surprised they ended up losing. They definitely have the talent to win. But as of now I think this is the top 5 going into the big summer tournaments. There could be a sleeper out there - perhaps Greenwich or Diablo?

EastBaySail
How are you connected to water polo?: Fan

Postby EastBaySail » Tue May 24, 2022 1:26 pm

Why didn't Vanguard play in this? Seems odd. I don't believe these top 4 teams have been in the same tournament or played each other full strength all year so who knows what's going to happen. Newport is the favorite IMO. Vanguard has one of the best 14s players but not as deep as Newport or Del Mar.

polopl
How are you connected to water polo?: Ex-player and parent of 3 polo players

Postby polopl » Tue May 24, 2022 6:28 pm

jlweath wrote:Some of the results for the 14U (Top 6/7):

14U Boys Platinum
1 - Del Mar
2 - Newport Blue
3 - Socal Black
4 - Pride
5 - LA Premier
6 - CC United
7 - North Irvine Black

14U Boys Gold
1 - CDM
2 - Del Mar B
3 - North Irvine Red
4 - Back Bay
5 - Socal Gold
6 - Vanguard White
7 - San Clemente

14U Girls Platinum
1 - Vanguard Blue
2 -Newport Blue
3 - Rose Bowl
4 - OCWPC
5 - SD Shores
6 - Newport White

1 - Socal Gold
2 - CMAC
3 - Trojan Gold

SD Shores got 4th in the 14U Boys Platinum.

CoachMCH1
How are you connected to water polo?: Fan. Parent.

Postby CoachMCH1 » Wed May 25, 2022 11:17 am

Vanguard 14s have been playing in 16s

Gobama
How are you connected to water polo?: Yes

Postby Gobama » Thu May 26, 2022 1:16 am

At futures Del Mar beat both Vanguard and Newport in close ones.

Gonna be an interesting NJO for sure. Lamo and Socal are right there, and Shores has beaten socal and Greenwich this year as well so who knows what happens. Comes down to matchups with LA Premier also being in the mix, but i think there's a gap after the top 5.

Return to “Age Group”