16U boys JO's predictions

The New Generation
topten
Posts: 80
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:17 am
How are you connected to water polo?: fan

16U boys JO's predictions

Postby topten » Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:48 am

JO's predictions: The big impact is who are on these JO rosters.

Talk around the pools at US Club Championships this weekend was some Greenwich polo players were playing for other California teams in JO's this weekend. this leads into the next aid bit of information.

Also need some help how many players outside of the county the club is from are now on JO's rosters. e.g Shores (have two or three players outside of San Diego). thus they're more competitive than in normal season play, this can impact and improve standings.

since two major tournaments were going on at the same time one a High School and one a club, you need to do your homework links are below. The High School players that played at elite8 will now return to their clubs for JO's.


16U boys
—————————————————
Vanguard (Huntington Beach)
Foothill
SoCal Black
San Francisco
Vanguard (Mater Dei)
SD Shores (have two or three players outside of San Diego)
Del Mar (have two or three players outside of San Diego)
La Jolla United
Stanford
Newport
Trojans
SoCal Gold
Palos Verdes
Rose Bowl
Lamorinda (Miramonte)
680
CC UNITED

Dblbarin
Posts: 12
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:02 pm
How are you connected to water polo?: Parent and fan, played and coached

Re: 16U boys JO's predictions

Postby Dblbarin » Mon Jul 12, 2021 6:34 pm

Do you have 14U predictions for JO’s? I also heard that some teams in this age group will also have players from out of state.

Justafan22
Posts: 460
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:56 pm
How are you connected to water polo?: Just a fan of WP

Re: 16U boys JO's predictions

Postby Justafan22 » Mon Jul 12, 2021 7:08 pm

Dblbarin wrote:Do you have 14U predictions for JO’s? I also heard that some teams in this age group will also have players from out of state.


How can you field players from out of state, that are 'tied' to a different club. Isn't there a 'separation time" that you need to detach yourself from a club and then can join another after, that time passed. Like they have on swim club teams. If players compete for Greenwich Club at USCCS, how can they now compete for another club at the JOs 1 week later?

JackBurton
Posts: 456
Joined: Thu Feb 04, 2016 12:42 am
How are you connected to water polo?: Gold Standard of USA Water Polo

Re: 16U boys JO's predictions

Postby JackBurton » Thu Jul 15, 2021 2:21 pm

Justafan22 wrote:
Dblbarin wrote:Do you have 14U predictions for JO’s? I also heard that some teams in this age group will also have players from out of state.


How can you field players from out of state, that are 'tied' to a different club. Isn't there a 'separation time" that you need to detach yourself from a club and then can join another after, that time passed. Like they have on swim club teams. If players compete for Greenwich Club at USCCS, how can they now compete for another club at the JOs 1 week later?


My understanding is that rule is gone. The only event that is club roster locked right now is JOs. So you can play club champs for whoever you want. JOs is still limits you with your affiliated club.

CoachMCH1
Posts: 116
Joined: Fri Mar 18, 2016 2:48 am
How are you connected to water polo?: Fan. Parent.

Re: 16U boys JO's predictions

Postby CoachMCH1 » Tue Jul 20, 2021 10:06 am

Any predictions on the semis and finals?

gumby12300
Posts: 92
Joined: Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:42 pm
How are you connected to water polo?: coach, i live and breath water polo

Re: 16U boys JO's predictions

Postby gumby12300 » Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:50 pm

Vanguard went out on a seven to nothing lead on San Diego Shores, San Diego clawed their way back in gradually throughout the rest of the game but the damage vanguard did early in the game was enough to keep them ahead. Dodd and Bettino tore them apart.

topten
Posts: 80
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:17 am
How are you connected to water polo?: fan

Re: 16U boys JO's predictions

Postby topten » Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:42 am

All in all it was a good event.
a few surprises.

16U boys
—————————————————
MY predictions RESULT
======================================
Vanguard VANGUARD BLACK A
Foothill SD SHORES A
SoCal Black SOCAL BLACK A
San Francisco DEL MAR A
Vanguard NEWPORT BEACH
SD Shores PV WATER POLO
Del Mar SAN FRANCISCO WARRIORS A
La Jolla United TROJAN A
Stanford LA JOLLA A
Newport TUSTIN PATRIOT
Trojans ROSE BOWL A
SoCal Gold NORTHERN CALIFORNIA A
Palos Verdes CC UNITED BLACK A
Rose Bowl LAMORINDA A
Lamorinda STANFORD A
680 FOOTHILL
CC UNITED

H20parent
Posts: 67
Joined: Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:31 pm
How are you connected to water polo?: Coach?parent

Re: 16U boys JO's predictions

Postby H20parent » Wed Jul 21, 2021 2:59 pm

gumby12300 wrote:Vanguard went out on a seven to nothing lead on San Diego Shores, San Diego clawed their way back in gradually throughout the rest of the game but the damage vanguard did early in the game was enough to keep them ahead. Dodd and Bettino tore them apart.


Spot on analysis. With those two boys in the pool VG could have put 20 goals on any of the teams in the top 4. I know it sounds harsh but its true.

User avatar
2plyBathingSuit
Posts: 2397
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:54 pm
How are you connected to water polo?: I personally played in High School and College.
Love the sport.

Re: 16U boys JO's predictions

Postby 2plyBathingSuit » Wed Jul 21, 2021 5:45 pm

H20parent wrote:
gumby12300 wrote:Vanguard went out on a seven to nothing lead on San Diego Shores, San Diego clawed their way back in gradually throughout the rest of the game but the damage vanguard did early in the game was enough to keep them ahead. Dodd and Bettino tore them apart.


Spot on analysis. With those two boys in the pool VG could have put 20 goals on any of the teams in the top 4. I know it sounds harsh but its true.


First time ever Vanguard winning 16's. Historically they typically tried to focus on 18's. It's better developmentally for the best 16's to do so. I don't believe playing in both 16's and 18's is advantageous to anybody. Pick one based on the individual's commitment and ability. What would you like to wager that this win will not translate to Vanguard winning 18's next year? Although Vanguard could form a "super team" and call it Cozy Boys2. Then all bets are off. Just don't have the word Cozy2 printed on your Speedo,...please!

One more thing, I'm not trying to lesson Dodd and Bettino's ability (I watched them both, they are good)...but when you are a solid player in 16's, it's much easier to stand out from the crowd...(and please don't say they stood out in 18' too). Let's see how they compare next year when the competition is twice as big and tougher. It's amazing how things start to "even out" after 16's. Then watch out after 18's...its a whole new world. Good luck.

PoloNHB
Posts: 204
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:44 pm
How are you connected to water polo?: Fan

Re: 16U boys JO's predictions

Postby PoloNHB » Wed Jul 21, 2021 7:02 pm

2plyBathingSuit wrote:First time ever Vanguard winning 16's. Historically they typically tried to focus on 18's. It's better developmentally for the best 16's to do so. I don't believe playing in both 16's and 18's is advantageous to anybody. Pick one based on the individual's commitment and ability. What would you like to wager that this win will not translate to Vanguard winning 18's next year? Although Vanguard could form a "super team" and call it Cozy Boys2. Then all bets are off. Just don't have the word Cozy2 printed on your Speedo,...please!

One more thing, I'm not trying to lesson Dodd and Bettino's ability (I watched them both, they are good)...but when you are a solid player in 16's, it's much easier to stand out from the crowd...(and please don't say they stood out in 18' too). Let's see how they compare next year when the competition is twice as big and tougher. It's amazing how things start to "even out" after 16's. Then watch out after 18's...its a whole new world. Good luck.

Not sure about jos, but I think hbhs (vanguard black) has a very good shot at winning cifss and claiming to be the best hs team next year.

I agree that the competition in 16s makes it easier to standout, but those two players are the real deal. They didn't have the energy to contribute in the jo final, but they certainly were significant contributors for hbhs this season as a freshman starter and sophomore reserve. I haven't seen a freshman contribute like that in sunset league since Mo did it for Newport.

User avatar
2plyBathingSuit
Posts: 2397
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:54 pm
How are you connected to water polo?: I personally played in High School and College.
Love the sport.

Re: 16U boys JO's predictions

Postby 2plyBathingSuit » Wed Jul 21, 2021 7:16 pm

PoloNHB wrote:
2plyBathingSuit wrote:First time ever Vanguard winning 16's. Historically they typically tried to focus on 18's. It's better developmentally for the best 16's to do so. I don't believe playing in both 16's and 18's is advantageous to anybody. Pick one based on the individual's commitment and ability. What would you like to wager that this win will not translate to Vanguard winning 18's next year? Although Vanguard could form a "super team" and call it Cozy Boys2. Then all bets are off. Just don't have the word Cozy2 printed on your Speedo,...please!

One more thing, I'm not trying to lesson Dodd and Bettino's ability (I watched them both, they are good)...but when you are a solid player in 16's, it's much easier to stand out from the crowd...(and please don't say they stood out in 18' too). Let's see how they compare next year when the competition is twice as big and tougher. It's amazing how things start to "even out" after 16's. Then watch out after 18's...its a whole new world. Good luck.

Not sure about jos, but I think hbhs (vanguard black) has a very good shot at winning cifss and claiming to be the best hs team next year.

I agree that the competition in 16s makes it easier to standout, but those two players are the real deal. They didn't have the energy to contribute in the jo final, but they certainly were significant contributors for hbhs this season as a freshman starter and sophomore reserve. I haven't seen a freshman contribute like that in sunset league since Mo did it for Newport.


But Mo wasn't able to bring Newport a CIFSS Championship. All four, HW, HB, MD and Newport will be contenders this fall for the golden nugget...but basing your opinion on who's going to win because of one or two players,...is a very slippery slope indeed and basically means nothing. Right now, my early nod goes to the mad scientist...Flacks & Company.

PoloNHB
Posts: 204
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:44 pm
How are you connected to water polo?: Fan

Re: 16U boys JO's predictions

Postby PoloNHB » Wed Jul 21, 2021 7:23 pm

2plyBathingSuit wrote:
PoloNHB wrote:
2plyBathingSuit wrote:First time ever Vanguard winning 16's. Historically they typically tried to focus on 18's. It's better developmentally for the best 16's to do so. I don't believe playing in both 16's and 18's is advantageous to anybody. Pick one based on the individual's commitment and ability. What would you like to wager that this win will not translate to Vanguard winning 18's next year? Although Vanguard could form a "super team" and call it Cozy Boys2. Then all bets are off. Just don't have the word Cozy2 printed on your Speedo,...please!

One more thing, I'm not trying to lesson Dodd and Bettino's ability (I watched them both, they are good)...but when you are a solid player in 16's, it's much easier to stand out from the crowd...(and please don't say they stood out in 18' too). Let's see how they compare next year when the competition is twice as big and tougher. It's amazing how things start to "even out" after 16's. Then watch out after 18's...its a whole new world. Good luck.

Not sure about jos, but I think hbhs (vanguard black) has a very good shot at winning cifss and claiming to be the best hs team next year.

I agree that the competition in 16s makes it easier to standout, but those two players are the real deal. They didn't have the energy to contribute in the jo final, but they certainly were significant contributors for hbhs this season as a freshman starter and sophomore reserve. I haven't seen a freshman contribute like that in sunset league since Mo did it for Newport.


But Mo wasn't able to bring Newport a CIFSS Championship. All four, HW, HB, MD and Newport will be contenders this fall for the golden nugget...but basing your opinion on who's going to win because of one or two players,...is a very slippery slope indeed and basically means nothing. Right now, my early nod goes to the mad scientist...Flacks & Company.

I am not basing my opinion on 1-2 players.

I agree with the other three teams you listed (although I wouldn't have listed HW before jos), but do you really think Newport will be contenders?

User avatar
2plyBathingSuit
Posts: 2397
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:54 pm
How are you connected to water polo?: I personally played in High School and College.
Love the sport.

Re: 16U boys JO's predictions

Postby 2plyBathingSuit » Wed Jul 21, 2021 7:35 pm

PoloNHB wrote:
2plyBathingSuit wrote:
PoloNHB wrote:
2plyBathingSuit wrote:First time ever Vanguard winning 16's. Historically they typically tried to focus on 18's. It's better developmentally for the best 16's to do so. I don't believe playing in both 16's and 18's is advantageous to anybody. Pick one based on the individual's commitment and ability. What would you like to wager that this win will not translate to Vanguard winning 18's next year? Although Vanguard could form a "super team" and call it Cozy Boys2. Then all bets are off. Just don't have the word Cozy2 printed on your Speedo,...please!

One more thing, I'm not trying to lesson Dodd and Bettino's ability (I watched them both, they are good)...but when you are a solid player in 16's, it's much easier to stand out from the crowd...(and please don't say they stood out in 18' too). Let's see how they compare next year when the competition is twice as big and tougher. It's amazing how things start to "even out" after 16's. Then watch out after 18's...its a whole new world. Good luck.

Not sure about jos, but I think hbhs (vanguard black) has a very good shot at winning cifss and claiming to be the best hs team next year.

I agree that the competition in 16s makes it easier to standout, but those two players are the real deal. They didn't have the energy to contribute in the jo final, but they certainly were significant contributors for hbhs this season as a freshman starter and sophomore reserve. I haven't seen a freshman contribute like that in sunset league since Mo did it for Newport.


But Mo wasn't able to bring Newport a CIFSS Championship. All four, HW, HB, MD and Newport will be contenders this fall for the golden nugget...but basing your opinion on who's going to win because of one or two players,...is a very slippery slope indeed and basically means nothing. Right now, my early nod goes to the mad scientist...Flacks & Company.

I am not basing my opinion on 1-2 players.

I agree with the other three teams you listed (although I wouldn't have listed HW before jos), but do you really think Newport will be contenders?


I do...but Ross won't quite be able to get them to the promised land...he'll fall short. Next year looks more promising for Newport...but that's a long ways off.

CoachMCH1
Posts: 116
Joined: Fri Mar 18, 2016 2:48 am
How are you connected to water polo?: Fan. Parent.

Re: 16U boys JO's predictions

Postby CoachMCH1 » Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:45 pm

Maybe for the best early look at HS next year was the elite 8 right before JOs. No graduated seniors and HBHS ran through that group that included MD and HW. If you didn’t see HBHS play this year then you don’t understand just how good those 2 are and are going to be. HBHS had either the best freshman class last year or second behind JSerra.

User avatar
2plyBathingSuit
Posts: 2397
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:54 pm
How are you connected to water polo?: I personally played in High School and College.
Love the sport.

Re: 16U boys JO's predictions

Postby 2plyBathingSuit » Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:42 pm

CoachMCH1 wrote:Maybe for the best early look at HS next year was the elite 8 right before JOs. No graduated seniors and HBHS ran through that group that included MD and HW. If you didn’t see HBHS play this year then you don’t understand just how good those 2 are and are going to be. HBHS had either the best freshman class last year or second behind JSerra.


I'm well aware of what went on at Elite 8. Two players don't make a great team and it's very easy for good teams to figure out who to shut down. How many times do I have to say this,...its group play that wins championships, it's the guy who you least expect to win Player of the Year such as a guy like Ryan Neopold did in 2018 and Nico Tierney for did for HW in 2019 that beats you, just ask Newport about those two back-to-back embarrassing loses. Who would of thought OLU could be beat by HW in the quarter final of 2017 after they surprisingly beat HB the year before for the 2016 CIFSS Championship. You really think Flacks and Anderson brought there A-game to Elite 8?! Also, HBHS has "zero (0)" history of winning big games when it counts most. But as you say, they are the early favorites. Orsmby has a very, very long way to go, I know he's trying his best, some would say he's trying a bit too hard, but I'm just not seeing it for quite some time.

Return to “Age Group”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests