2022 USA WP FINA Youth Team

The New Generation
GoBears!
How are you connected to water polo?: Former player, coach, official and parent.

2022 USA WP FINA Youth Team

Postby GoBears! » Wed Jul 27, 2022 12:29 pm

Wasn't sure where to post this, is it part of ODP? In Any case, here is the US team going, led by Ross Sinclair.

2022 USA Men's Youth National Team Roster - FINA Youth World Championships

Christopher Arakelian - 2MD (Los Angeles Premier/Coastal California Zone)
John Burghardt - A (Los Angeles Premier/Coastal California Zone)
Bernardo Herzer - GK (Trojan Water Polo/Coastal California Zone)
Daniel Mnatsakanian - U (Los Angeles Premier/Coastal California Zone)
Jacob Tsotadze - A (Stanford Water Polo Foundation/Pacific Zone)
Evan Ausmus - A (SOCAL Water Polo Foundation/Southern Pacific Zone)
Peter Castillo - C (Newport Beach Water Polo/Southern Pacific Zone)
Riley Clansen - GK (SOCAL Water Polo Foundation/Southern Pacific Zone)
Ryder Dodd - A (Mission Water Polo Club/Southern Pacific Zone)
Benjamin Liechty - U (Newport Beach Water Polo/Southern Pacific Zone)
Carter Loth - A (Vanguard Aquatics/Southern Pacific Zone)
Reed Pantaleon - 2MD (SOCAL Water Polo Foundation/Southern Pacific Zone)
William Schneider - U (Mission Water Polo Club/Southern Pacific Zone)
Gage Verdegaal - A (Newport Beach Water Polo/Southern Pacific Zone)

Coaching Staff
Head Coach - Ross Sinclair
Asst Coach - Ian Davidson
Asst Coach - Thomas Corcoran
Team Leader - Michael Zellmer

Competition Schedule (subject to change)
August 11 vs Serbia 11:30am pt
August 13 vs Italy 3:00am pt
August 15 vs New Zealand 12:00am pt
August 16 vs TBD
August 17 vs TBD
August 18 vs TBD
August 19 vs TBD

WaPoSaD
How are you connected to water polo?: Fan

Re: 2022 USA WP FINA Youth Team

Postby WaPoSaD » Wed Jul 27, 2022 5:28 pm

Good luck, USA! (You get a keen sense of the continuing geographic limitations of USA water polo from the fact that all but one of the players is from within a 50 mile radius of Anaheim.)

Alan Cima

Postby Alan Cima » Wed Jul 27, 2022 8:35 pm

GoBears! wrote:Wasn't sure where to post this

They are the USA Men's Youth National Team, so they should rightly go in the "US Mens National Water Polo Team" section.

NoCalPoloDad
How are you connected to water polo?: Dad of a goalie

Postby NoCalPoloDad » Wed Jul 27, 2022 10:49 pm

WaPoSaD wrote:Good luck, USA! (You get a keen sense of the continuing geographic limitations of USA water polo from the fact that all but one of the players is from within a 50 mile radius of Anaheim.)

Or is it selection bias? Some pretty good and acclaimed players from NoCal over the years ;-)

Tomwater5

Postby Tomwater5 » Thu Jul 28, 2022 3:47 pm

NoCalPoloDad wrote:
WaPoSaD wrote:Good luck, USA! (You get a keen sense of the continuing geographic limitations of USA water polo from the fact that all but one of the players is from within a 50 mile radius of Anaheim.)

Or is it selection bias? Some pretty good and acclaimed players from NoCal over the years ;-)[/quote

I think it is selection bias and pay to play. USAWP is broke and the leadership is broken. Until they have some serious changes US polo will always be a bridesmaid.

Justafan22
How are you connected to water polo?: Just a fan of WP

Postby Justafan22 » Mon Aug 01, 2022 4:16 pm

Tomwater5 wrote:
NoCalPoloDad wrote:

Or is it selection bias? Some pretty good and acclaimed players from NoCal over the years ;-)[/quote

I think it is selection bias and pay to play. USAWP is broke and the leadership is broken. Until they have some serious changes US polo will always be a bridesmaid.

Yes you look at the rosters and you do see that those are usually not our "best' youth team that we could send. Both on the boys and the girls side.
A lot of good players choose not to participate in ODP. Some do participate and get picked but maybe decide the cost is too high and they don't feel like fundraising for the trip.

Regardless, these trips are expensive, and there is not enough money generated in waterpolo for USAWP to absorb these costs, so yes, you have to 'pay to play' . What else are they going to do, to be able to fund these trips oversees?

So yes, some of the kids on these rosters, are not the cream of the crop, but so what, it's basically an international 'club' competition and the coach will go with what players he/she has, and do the best they can. Just like when you take a 18U team to JOs

polo45
How are you connected to water polo?: Coach

Postby polo45 » Mon Aug 01, 2022 4:39 pm

I would actually disagree. I would argue that you aren't as familiar with the process leading up to selections. The players that are not included on these teams are typically those who chose not to do ODP for personal reasons (which is understandable given the commitment) or maybe are not eligible due to birth year. I know for a fact that on the guys side there were around 80 kids who were invited to be a part of the Academy program during this last year. Many of the top high school boys participated and there were many who were not eligible because they were born in 03 and not born in 04. The staff cast a very wide net and included kids from all over the country. There is always money set aside in these types of programs for those who cannot attend due to financial reasons. Of course there are some exceptions and arguments can be made for player A vs player B but that will always be the case at any level.

ole'gauchos
How are you connected to water polo?: Boys play(ed) Div 1/2 ball

Postby ole'gauchos » Tue Aug 02, 2022 10:06 am

i'm sorry but.. are you kidding me? lol my Brothers and Sisters.. usawp (ex. odp), is just a pure "money grab".. i know (cuz i lived it)! pull your head(s) out of the sand people! My ol' Mum would be rolling in her grave jus now lol :lol:

Nohorsepolo
How are you connected to water polo?: Polo dad

Postby Nohorsepolo » Tue Aug 02, 2022 11:31 am

This is not a money grab if your player is good. Most parents think their kid is good and when their kid is cut from the team they complain

Justafan22
How are you connected to water polo?: Just a fan of WP

Postby Justafan22 » Tue Aug 02, 2022 3:03 pm

Nohorsepolo wrote:This is not a money grab if your player is good. Most parents think their kid is good and when their kid is cut from the team they complain

That's because unless you are one of the top, let's say 10 players at that age group, then ODP does stand for Olympic Development Program.
If you are not one of those top 10s, then OPD stands for Organization Delusional Parents

Call it money grab or not, USAWP needs to raise money somehow to send teams to these international tournaments. Or what is alternative. Get rid of the whole ODP system and then just skip all the youth,, FINA, Pan Am, ect, ect tournaments?

How else are you going to form a team and pay for the training, coaches and travel?

JFranpolo
How are you connected to water polo?: Water polo scout for USA water polo....ODP program

Postby JFranpolo » Wed Aug 03, 2022 5:04 pm

Until the sport of water polo can attract lucrative sponsorships, it will be a struggle. Hopefully, the ESPN broadcasts will help.

The majority of the best players in the nation are doing ODP and have been invited to the Academy workouts--a step in the right direction. Yes, it is expensive, but the coaching is high-level. There is a consistent evaluation process as some athletes peak early on and others develop later.

A thing of note: The senior class nationally was very deep this year, but many top players had a 2003 birthdate. Youth Worlds cut-off was 2004. Unfortunately, the O3's (Gray Carsen, Noah Rowe, Gavin West, William Kelly, Jackson Matos, Nikola Mirkovich, Logan McCarroll, etc.) are 2003s. In addition, arguably the best all-around player James Rozolis-Hill (2004) chose not to compete. The 2023 senior class is not nearly as deep or talented as the Class of 2022.

A notable 2004 cut was Zach Bettino (senior at HB)--whom I would have chosen, but it's not an easy process. Also, athletes are going to develop at different stages. In addition, there are some exciting prospects in the 2005 and 2006 classes that have high upsides.

ole'gauchos

Postby ole'gauchos » Wed Aug 03, 2022 10:07 pm

Bro, I totally getcha.. but, here's the deal USAWP is robbin' da hood for $$ to try and survive/not get fired from their "kush" :D jobs.. lol my Brothers and Sisters.. and rise up! "Bob Marley"

ole'gauchos

Postby ole'gauchos » Wed Aug 03, 2022 10:11 pm

JFranpolo wrote:Until the sport of water polo can attract lucrative sponsorships, it will be a struggle. Hopefully, the ESPN broadcasts will help.

The majority of the best players in the nation are doing ODP and have been invited to the Academy workouts--a step in the right direction. Yes, it is expensive, but the coaching is high-level. There is a consistent evaluation process as some athletes peak early on and others develop later.

A thing of note: The senior class nationally was very deep this year, but many top players had a 2003 birthdate. Youth Worlds cut-off was 2004. Unfortunately, the O3's (Gray Carsen, Noah Rowe, Gavin West, William Kelly, Jackson Matos, Nikola Mirkovich, Logan McCarroll, etc.) are 2003s. In addition, arguably the best all-around player James Rozolis-Hill (2004) chose not to compete. The 2023 senior class is not nearly as deep or talented as the Class of 2022.

A notable 2004 cut was Zach Bettino (senior at HB)--whom I would have chosen, but it's not an easy process. Also, athletes are going to develop at different stages. In addition, there are some exciting prospects in the 2005 and 2006 classes that have high upsides.

hey bruh, would love to know where i can catch the USMSNT playing on ESPN.. Please dear Sir, provide us with the link! :D Blessings!

OCWaterpolofan29

Postby OCWaterpolofan29 » Thu Aug 04, 2022 11:30 am

JFranpolo wrote:Until the sport of water polo can attract lucrative sponsorships, it will be a struggle. Hopefully, the ESPN broadcasts will help.

I am a big proponent for ODP and I believe that it’s a great experience for kids who want to try to embed themselves into the national team pipeline. I am well familiar with it. However, I think it says a lot about the program currently if one of the best players eligible who would have no doubt been able to put the team over Brazil in PanAms elected not to participate and I guarantee he would certainly increase their chances at Worlds. It is a very fulfilling experience being able to represent and compete for your country. I know there are a slew of personal reasons and circumstances that led up to his decision, but I think there may need to be a reinvention of sorts for ODP.

McKlintock

Postby McKlintock » Thu Aug 04, 2022 12:06 pm

OCWaterpolofan29 wrote:

I am a big proponent for ODP and I believe that it’s a great experience for kids who want to try to embed themselves into the national team pipeline. I am well familiar with it. However, I think it says a lot about the program currently if one of the best players eligible who would have no doubt been able to put the team over Brazil in PanAms elected not to participate and I guarantee he would certainly increase their chances at Worlds. It is a very fulfilling experience being able to represent and compete for your country. I know there are a slew of personal reasons and circumstances that led up to his decision, but I think there may need to be a reinvention of sorts for ODP.

I am not sure I follow. Are you trying to say the structure of ODP somehow caused him not to want to play? Could it be that he is just a very mature young man who has just shifted his focus to academics as he enters his freshman year at an Ivy? No matter how good they are, not all players want to try to make a living in water polo. Good for him!

Return to “Age Group”