Fall 2021 Varsity Polls

Mens College Water Polo
Cal Polo Enthusiast
How are you connected to water polo?: Former player and coach.

Re: Fall 2021 Varsity Polls

Postby Cal Polo Enthusiast » Wed Nov 03, 2021 9:53 pm

Week 9 - Nov 3

1 University of California-Los Angeles
2 University of California
3 University of Southern California
4 Stanford University
5 Long Beach State University
6 University of the Pacific
7 University of California-Santa Barbara
8 San Jose State University +1
9 University of California-Davis -1
10 Pepperdine University
11 Princeton University
12 University of California-San Diego +1
13 Harvard University -2
14 University of California-Irvine +1
15(T) Loyola Marymount University -1
15(T) Fordham University +2
17 Pomona-Pitzer Colleges -1
18 California Baptist University -1
19 United States Airforce Academy
20(T) Santa Clara University RV
20(T) Brown University RV

Movers

+2 Fordham University
+1 San Jose State University
+1 University of California-San Diego
+1 University of California-Irvine
RVSanta Clara University
RV Brown University
------------------------------------------------------
-1 University of California-Davis
-1 Loyola Marymount University
-1 Pomona-Pitzer Colleges
-1 California Baptist University
-2 Harvard University

Rbpolo0414
How are you connected to water polo?: Fan

Postby Rbpolo0414 » Wed Nov 03, 2021 9:55 pm

Cal Polo Enthusiast wrote:Week 9 - Nov 3

2 University of California
3 University of Southern California
4 Stanford University
10 Pepperdine University
11 Princeton University
13 Harvard University -2

Movers

+2 Fordham University
RVSanta Clara University
RV Brown University
-2 Harvard University

I know USC lost to Cal in their home pool, but does anyone know why they aren’t ranked #1???

SwimCoach
How are you connected to water polo?: Fan, Instructor, Lifelong Swimmer

Postby SwimCoach » Wed Nov 03, 2021 11:13 pm

Rbpolo0414 wrote:I know USC lost to Cal in their home pool, but does anyone know why they aren’t ranked #1???

I agree, but there should be better clarity after the games on Saturday.

WPhan
How are you connected to water polo?: College Water Polo fan

Postby WPhan » Thu Nov 04, 2021 10:00 am

I pointed this out in an earlier post but was called out for being a USC homer. But the fact is USC has beaten every one of the top 10 team except UCLA and has double wins over two of those top 10 (Stanford and UC Davis). These wins were by an average of 5 goals, so they were against quality ranked teams pointing to "strength of schedule", not against "cupcakes".
Some clarity after the USC vs UCLA match this weekend at Uytengsu. Would USC lose two home games? These conference games are just jockeying for position and bracket matches leading up to the MPSF (at Stanford) and NCAA tournaments (at Spieker at UCLA). The only real poll that matters is the final one.

GoBears!
How are you connected to water polo?: Former player, coach, official and parent.

Postby GoBears! » Thu Nov 04, 2021 10:08 am

WPhan wrote:I pointed this out in an earlier post but was called out for being a USC homer. But the fact is USC has beaten every one of the top 10 team except UCLA and has double wins over two of those top 10 (Stanford and UC Davis). These wins were by an average of 5 goals, so they were against quality ranked teams pointing to "strength of schedule", not against "cupcakes".

You are a USC homer if you will not acknowledge that in the most recent game between USC and Cal, USC lost. They dropped to #3. Neither Cal, nor UCLA has lost since USC lost to Cal. On what basis would you move USC higher Mr. Simpson?

Rbpolo0414

Postby Rbpolo0414 » Thu Nov 04, 2021 10:27 am

GoBears! wrote:
WPhan wrote:I pointed this out in an earlier post but was called out for being a USC homer. But the fact is USC has beaten every one of the top 10 team except UCLA and has double wins over two of those top 10 (Stanford and UC Davis). These wins were by an average of 5 goals, so they were against quality ranked teams pointing to "strength of schedule", not against "cupcakes".

You are a USC homer if you will not acknowledge that in the most recent game between USC and Cal, USC lost. They dropped to #3. Neither Cal, nor UCLA has lost since USC lost to Cal. On what basis would you move USC higher Mr. Simpson?

As 2ply pointed out. Insufferable homer.

WPhan

Postby WPhan » Thu Nov 04, 2021 8:18 pm

Personal attacks! Name Calling! Sounds like some on this board are yearning for the days of the junior high cafeteria food fights!

But let's talk about facts. Cal and USC currently tied at #2. But since the Bear's epic 1 goal win against the Trojans almost 3 weeks ago on October 9, Trojans have won 4 games and 3 of them against top 7 teams with a combined average winning margin of 5 goals per game. That's versus #4 Stanford, #5 Long Beach State #7 UCSB and #14 UC Irvine. Cal boat raced #7 UCSB for a 1 goal win and #11 Princeton by 4, same scoring margin that Trojans had against quality rival #4 Stanford. Bears got a COVID-based cancellation versus Long Beach State.

Trojans and Bruins play in a cross-town on Saturday. But the value of that game is for seedings in the MPSF tournament later in November. And the value of that is seedings in the NCAA championships in December. Those are the "playoffs" and this is the regular season that lines up the playoffs. Best to bring your best game for the playoffs. Dodgers and Giants had the best MLB winning records but the Braves won the World Series. Peak at the right time. Deja vu: Trojans have been in the NCAA championship finals a remarkable number of times. Just sayin'

Rbpolo0414

Postby Rbpolo0414 » Thu Nov 04, 2021 8:35 pm

WPhan wrote:Personal attacks! Name Calling! Sounds like some on this board are yearning for the days of the junior high cafeteria food fights!

But let's talk about facts. Cal and USC currently tied at #2. But since the Bear's epic 1 goal win against the Trojans almost 3 weeks ago on October 9, Trojans have won 4 games and 3 of them against top 7 teams with a combined average winning margin of 5 goals per game. That's versus #4 Stanford, #5 Long Beach State #7 UCSB and #14 UC Irvine. Cal boat raced #7 UCSB for a 1 goal win and #11 Princeton by 4, same scoring margin that Trojans had against quality rival #4 Stanford. Bears got a COVID-based cancellation versus Long Beach State.

Trojans and Bruins play in a cross-town on Saturday. But the value of that game is for seedings in the MPSF tournament later in November. And the value of that is seedings in the NCAA championships in December. Those are the "playoffs" and this is the regular season that lines up the playoffs. Best to bring your best game for the playoffs. Dodgers and Giants had the best MLB winning records but the Braves won the World Series. Peak at the right time. Deja vu: Trojans have been in the NCAA championship finals a remarkable number of times. Just sayin'

Posts like these are why you get made fun of. Are you going to attend the game in person or regurgitate the fosh stats after the fact?

WPhan

Postby WPhan » Thu Nov 04, 2021 9:05 pm

Made fun of! I'll repeat: Name calling! Personal insults! Sounds like some on this board yearn for those junior high cafeteria food fights.

I follow all Trojan sports (men and women) including what some consider "minor" ones like Water Polo. Those are the ones that Trojans won 3 National Championships last year.I follow teams and my attendance in person doesn't indicate I'm not a real "fan".

Rbpolo0414

Postby Rbpolo0414 » Thu Nov 04, 2021 9:08 pm

WPhan wrote:Made fun of! I'll repeat: Name calling! Personal insults! Sounds like some on this board yearn for those junior high cafeteria food fights.

I follow all Trojan sports (men and women) including what some consider "minor" ones like Water Polo. Those are the ones that Trojans won 3 National Championships last year.I follow teams and my attendance in person doesn't indicate I'm not a real "fan".

Come back when you have something objective to say. We don’t need lectures on how the seeding works. Maybe learn something about the sport before you try and explain it to us. We all can see the stats on the fosh.

GoBears!
How are you connected to water polo?: Former player, coach, official and parent.

Postby GoBears! » Thu Nov 04, 2021 10:15 pm

WPhan wrote:But let's talk about facts.

Now see; I thought you were just a homer, but RB is right, you are an insufferable homer. That isn't name calling, that is just one of the facts you seem so eager to discuss.

WPhan wrote:Cal and USC currently tied at #2. But since the Bear's epic 1 goal win against the Trojans almost 3 weeks ago on October 9, Trojans have won 4 games and 3 of them against top 7 teams with a combined average winning margin of 5 goals per game.

You obviously don't get how rankings work. If you want to move past a team and move up, you have to beat them and you have to have beaten them in your most recent meeting. Or the team above you has to lose. Neither of those things have happened. It DOES NOT MATTER who else you beat if the team above you beat you and hasn't lost since then. That is another fact. Why you cannot accept this is beyond me (other than you are an insufferable homer).

Cal Polo Enthusiast
How are you connected to water polo?: Former player and coach.

Postby Cal Polo Enthusiast » Fri Nov 05, 2021 12:16 am

Week 9 - Nov 3[/b]

2(T) University of California
2(T) University of Southern California +1
4 Stanford University
10 Pepperdine University
11 Princeton University
13 Harvard University -2

Movers

+2 Fordham University
+1 University of Southern California
RVSanta Clara University
RV Brown University
-2 Harvard University

Updated as they originally published including an error.

ole'gauchos
How are you connected to water polo?: Boys play(ed) Div 1/2 ball

Postby ole'gauchos » Fri Nov 05, 2021 11:13 am

GoBears! wrote:
WPhan wrote:But let's talk about facts.

Now see; I thought you were just a homer, but RB is right, you are an insufferable homer. That isn't name calling, that is just one of the facts you seem so eager to discuss.

WPhan wrote:Cal and USC currently tied at #2. But since the Bear's epic 1 goal win against the Trojans almost 3 weeks ago on October 9, Trojans have won 4 games and 3 of them against top 7 teams with a combined average winning margin of 5 goals per game.

You obviously don't get how rankings work. If you want to move past a team and move up, you have to beat them and you have to have beaten them in your most recent meeting. Or the team above you has to lose. Neither of those things have happened. It DOES NOT MATTER who else you beat if the team above you beat you and hasn't lost since then. That is another fact. Why you cannot accept this is beyond me (other than you are an insufferable homer).

i'm sorry, we beat "the mighty trojan" back in 2019 (@UCSD) .. by far, the worst fans on the deck.. reminded me of 10 and under parents at their first tournament.. lol, even yelling at their Kids (now grown men), in the pool.. i could tell from the scowls on the players faces, they were not digging the "fans" behavior.. was embarrassing (imo), for the love of the sport "sc fans" knock that sh** off, PLEASE!!!

majored
How are you connected to water polo?: fan

Postby majored » Fri Nov 05, 2021 12:43 pm

Can anyone explain what happened to the UCI program? Seems they are going down in the rankings each year(now #14) when they use to be in the top ten every year(bottom half), Located in the hot bed of water polo in Orange County, all the top recruits seem to avoid them. Not sure they would be in the top three in WWPA but now the bottom of the GCC.

Rbpolo0414

Postby Rbpolo0414 » Fri Nov 05, 2021 1:30 pm

majored wrote:Can anyone explain what happened to the UCI program? Seems they are going down in the rankings each year(now #14) when they use to be in the top ten every year(bottom half), Located in the hot bed of water polo in Orange County, all the top recruits seem to avoid them. Not sure they would be in the top three in WWPA but now the bottom of the GCC.

They are really struggling to recruit from the hot beds. They need foreigners to compete and that has slipped lately. Although UCI is a great academic school, I’m not so sure it’s a desirable landing spot for OC and LA kids.

Return to “Mens Varsity Water Polo”