2021-22 CIF SS Div 1

Girls High School Competition
polo45
How are you connected to water polo?: Coach

Re: 2021-22 CIF SS Div 1

Postby polo45 » Sat Nov 27, 2021 11:19 am

I think some teams may be on both lists which were posted on this site but I don’t think that’s an accurate list considering both the dates and teams listed on here were incorrect.

Pmount43
How are you connected to water polo?: Fan

Postby Pmount43 » Sat Nov 27, 2021 12:15 pm

Newport
Los Al
OLU
Foothill
Mater Dei
Laguna Beach
San Marcos
Santa Margarita

My open division teams

jlweath
How are you connected to water polo?: Was a player, age group coach, two sons played through college, and I am a fan

Postby jlweath » Mon Nov 29, 2021 2:05 pm

Looks like the week of 11/29-12/4 Div 1 teams play starts to pick up.

11/30 - Murrieta Valley @ Santa Margarita
12/01 - Murrieta Valley @ Laguna Beach
12/02 - Mater Dei @ Bishops
12/03 - Laguna Beach @ San Marcos
12/04 - San Marcos vs Agoura, Laguna Beach @ Dos Pueblos, Oaks Christian @ Santa Barbara, Agoura vs Santa Barbara, Oaks Christian @ San Marcos, Orange Lutheran @ Bishops
Last edited by jlweath on Fri Dec 03, 2021 11:40 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Justafan22
How are you connected to water polo?: Just a fan of WP

Postby Justafan22 » Mon Nov 29, 2021 5:00 pm

jlweath wrote:Looks like the week of 11/29-12/4 Div 1 teams play starts to pick up.

11/30 - Murrieta Valley @ Santa Margarita
12/01 - Murrieta Valley @ Laguna Beach
12/02 - Mater Dei @ Bishops
12/03 - Foothill @ Newport, Laguna Beach @ San Marcos
12/04 - San Marcos vs Agoura, Laguna Beach @ Dos Pueblos, Oaks Christian @ Santa Barbara, Agoura vs Santa Barbara, Oaks Christian @ San Marcos, Orange Lutheran @ Bishops

Really nice to see a couple OC teams go down and play Bishops.

Lots of good games in Santa Barbara area also. What a great week to get the season going

SwimCoach
How are you connected to water polo?: Fan, Instructor, Lifelong Swimmer

Postby SwimCoach » Mon Nov 29, 2021 5:25 pm

That Bishop's vs OLu game should be a really good one.

One of OLu's best players (maybe more?), transferred out of the school, but they definitely still have a talented team and will eventually get a few transfers of their own once the SOP ends. Bishop's is definitely the best team in CIF-SD. Great to see them playing against the better CIF-SS teams.

Justafan22
How are you connected to water polo?: Just a fan of WP

Postby Justafan22 » Mon Nov 29, 2021 6:26 pm

SwimCoach wrote:That Bishop's vs OLu game should be a really good one.

One of OLu's best players (maybe more?), transferred out of the school, but they definitely still have a talented team and will eventually get a few transfers of their own once the SOP ends. Bishop's is definitely the best team in CIF-SD. Great to see them playing against the better CIF-SS teams.

OLU was supposed to be one of the favorites to go all the way this year, with their young team of the last couple years maturing. Too bad they lost a top player. Was there more than one that they lost?

But if they gained some by transfer then it could shore things up a bit and regain some depth.

When is the SOP end in girls waterpolo ?

jlweath
How are you connected to water polo?: Was a player, age group coach, two sons played through college, and I am a fan

Postby jlweath » Mon Nov 29, 2021 7:52 pm

Justafan22 wrote:
SwimCoach wrote:That Bishop's vs OLu game should be a really good one.

OLU was supposed to be one of the favorites to go all the way this year, with their young team of the last couple years maturing. Too bad they lost a top player. Was there more than one that they lost?

But if they gained some by transfer then it could shore things up a bit and regain some depth.

updated to SOP is thru 12/26
Last edited by jlweath on Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

SwimCoach

Postby SwimCoach » Mon Nov 29, 2021 8:10 pm

Justafan22 wrote:OLU was supposed to be one of the favorites to go all the way this year, with their young team of the last couple years maturing. Too bad they lost a top player. Was there more than one that they lost?

I know that they lost one of their top players and was told that another left as well. If so, they were both 1st Team All-League players last year.

The SOP ends on December 26.
Last edited by SwimCoach on Wed Jan 05, 2022 11:34 am, edited 2 times in total.

jlweath

Postby jlweath » Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:51 am

Santa Margarita 15 Murrieta Valley 6.

lapolodad
How are you connected to water polo?: Dad

Postby lapolodad » Wed Dec 01, 2021 11:04 am

Olu 9 Los Al 8

jlweath

Postby jlweath » Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:40 am

Laguna Beach 23 Murrieta Valley 3

SwimCoach

Postby SwimCoach » Fri Dec 03, 2021 1:13 am

MD 9 - Bishop’s 5

It is early in the season, but that was a great win for MD and a tough loss for Bishop’s in their own pool.

WaPoSaD
How are you connected to water polo?: Fan

Postby WaPoSaD » Fri Dec 03, 2021 1:49 am

I was impressed by MDs play. They’ve got two extremely fast swimmers and the entire team hustles. It was 2-1 Bishop’s at the end of 1 and 4-4 at halftime, but MD pulled away in the second half. MD scored three very improbable (but well-placed) far-out shots, but the difference (IMHO) was conditioning and depth.

Another MD strength this year is strong, aggressive play at set; plus, they have a real double post option on the 1/2 side, which they several times used to their advantage. If there’s a MD weakness it may be (as with many teams) at guard; Bishop’s set could often seal, but MD often gives good 4/5 side help — my sense was a more rapid pass to set (before the help came) could have worked, but Bishop’s didn’t have that on display tonight.

Overall, tough and quality play by the MD girls.

badboy
How are you connected to water polo?: parent

Postby badboy » Fri Dec 03, 2021 4:56 pm

WaPoSaD wrote:I was impressed by MDs play. They’ve got two extremely fast swimmers and the entire team hustles. It was 2-1 Bishop’s at the end of 1 and 4-4 at halftime, but MD pulled away in the second half. MD scored three very improbable (but well-placed) far-out shots, but the difference (IMHO) was conditioning and depth.

Another MD strength this year is strong, aggressive play at set; plus, they have a real double post option on the 1/2 side, which they several times used to their advantage. If there’s a MD weakness it may be (as with many teams) at guard; Bishop’s set could often seal, but MD often gives good 4/5 side help — my sense was a more rapid pass to set (before the help came) could have worked, but Bishop’s didn’t have that on display tonight.

Overall, tough and quality play by the MD girls.

MD had two advantages, even though I think Bishop's is the more talented team.

First, MD's keeper was excellent. Bishop's has a good keeper, but she's not elite.

Second, MD played really well as a team. Bishop's, as has always been their curse, played like a bunch of individuals. They're deeper than MD and should have been able to wear them down in the 2nd half, but the opposite occurred.

Bishop's expected to win that game and was stunned when it started slipping away. It's a shame nobody else in SD is even close to Bishop's - they need to play those tough games more often if they want to claim to be the best.

SwimCoach

Postby SwimCoach » Fri Dec 03, 2021 5:23 pm

badboy wrote:It's a shame nobody else in SD is even close to Bishop's - they need to play those tough games more often if they want to claim to be the best.

Agree that Bishop's needs to play a tougher out of SD schedule. Glad to see them in some of the better tournaments this year. I do not think that they have participated in these recently.

Out of curiosity, what are you referring to when you say that Bishop's "...want to claim to be the best." Combination of CIF-SS and SD? The whole state?

Return to “High School GIRLS”